fuel smell?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
this has me beating my head against the wall. Ever since getting my motor and fuel system done I get a strong smell of fuel in the garage the morning after parking the car in the garage. I can't find any leaks though. I know I still have some tuning issues to work out but can't imagine it's due to the longtubes and offroad x pipe or anything else.

Could it be due to the fuel line used in the kit or am I missing something?

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
I have a procharged 01 cobra and I get the same thing. My exhaust smells like a 100% perfect burn, my engine bay doesnt smell like fuel, but overall my car just smells slightly like fuel. Not overwhelming but it's there.

BWH2003

Established Member
I have the fuel system from lethal performance too. I have the same smell and it was driving me crazy. I thought I had a leak as well but I went over every inch of the line and have no leaks. Unfotunately the gas smell is still there.

I talked with Jared about this before and he said he is certain it isnt the line as its a quality rubber hose. I dont think the hose should do it either but I have the smell on the line. The only thing I can come up with is at some point fuel possibly got on the outer coating and the smell is on the wrap and not the line itself? Hopefully Jared can chime in more.

kwlscott

Established Member
i just did mine and have noticed the odor in my garage when i go out to my truck in the morning and also this afternoon when i got home from work. i figured maybe we had spilled a little gas and the odor would go away soon. i opened the windows and am letting it air out. hopefully this will solve mine.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
this has me beating my head against the wall. Ever since getting my motor and fuel system done I get a strong smell of fuel in the garage the morning after parking the car in the garage. I can't find any leaks though. I know I still have some tuning issues to work out but can't imagine it's due to the longtubes and offroad x pipe or anything else.

Brandon,

I get a slight smell of fuel in my garage from my cobra and it's got the same fuel line as you're using. The fuel line we use is from Fragola which is made by Parker and is a high quality hose. It's passed US Coast Gauge permeability tests and also meets many industry standards for performance fuel hose. With that said I still believe it may have some type of weep to it. The only other thing I can think of is the reversal of the fuel back into the fuel tank. Normally fuel in the fuel line stays in the line after the car is turned off due to the check valve in the tank. Once you remove that check valve or run a Fore hat which doesn't have a PPRV than the fuel flows back into the tank once the car is turned off. The fuel tank has vents which I believe help relieve some of the fuel pressure from the fuel going back into it. That is the only other thing I can think of in regards to the smell of fuel in the garage.

Hope that helps. Jared

I have the fuel system from lethal performance too. I have the same smell and it was driving me crazy. I thought I had a leak as well but I went over every inch of the line and have no leaks. Unfotunately the gas smell is still there.

I talked with Jared about this before and he said he is certain it isnt the line as its a quality rubber hose. I dont think the hose should do it either but I have the smell on the line. The only thing I can come up with is at some point fuel possibly got on the outer coating and the smell is on the wrap and not the line itself? Hopefully Jared can chime in more.

Just as I mentioned above the Fragola line is definitely a quality hose. At this point I believe that it still may weep fuel smell a tad but the other thing I mentioned about the tank venting the returning fuel is where I believe most of the smell would come from.

Jared

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Thanks Jared. That really takes a load off because I was about to take the entire car apart again. Now I just need to get the tune resolved and put the correct LCA's in and redo the allignment. UPR sent me the wrong LCA's. They are about an inch short each and bring the wheels in so far you can hardly turn the wheel without rubbing the tires on the inner fender. We found this after we set the CC plates all the way in and still had positive camber. Cool thing is they jumped all over making things right and have been nothing but help and a joy to deal with.

I cant wait to get all the gremlins worked out, break in miles done, and my new wheels so I can send you some updated pics!

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks Jared. That really takes a load off because I was about to take the entire car apart again. Now I just need to get the tune resolved and put the correct LCA's in and redo the allignment. UPR sent me the wrong LCA's. They are about an inch short each and bring the wheels in so far you can hardly turn the wheel without rubbing the tires on the inner fender. We found this after we set the CC plates all the way in and still had positive camber. Cool thing is they jumped all over making things right and have been nothing but help and a joy to deal with.

I cant wait to get all the gremlins worked out, break in miles done, and my new wheels so I can send you some updated pics!

Glad you feel better about things now. As far as UPR goes you're in good hands. If you ever need anything just ask for Jeremy. He's a very good friend of mine and will always go out of his way to help his customers. Speak to you soon bro. Jared

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Glad you feel better about things now. As far as UPR goes you're in good hands. If you ever need anything just ask for Jeremy. He's a very good friend of mine and will always go out of his way to help his customers. Speak to you soon bro. Jared

that is exactly who I am dealing with. After the FRPP fiasco I have been less than excited about mistakes by a company and getting quality customer service. When I spoke with Jeremy I asked him "Its that easy?"..........He apologized and said "I wish I could do more..............Why?" Then I explained about spending 10 times as much money with FRPP and how their failed motor that they sent me and no less than 9 other people ended up costing me thousands and that I figured since I was already out 180 bucks for an allignment and had to modify my inner tie rods to get this to work that I would be screwed once again. He said he couldnt do anything about the allignment cost but would be more than happy to help me out with anything in the catalog so I am for sure going to take him up on that. Jeremy is top notch and is as you guys are a credit to the aftermarket performance parts industry!!!!!! I have had the new LCA's sitting here for almost a week and have a paid shipping sticker to send the old ones back. I just need to get the railroad to leave me alone just long enough to get some sleep and perform the swap and all will be well.:beer:

BWH2003

Established Member
Thanks for the post Jared. I figured you could get it straight better than I could. Its definitely a quality hose. I am going to try putting a aeromotive one way check valve in. I want to see if that will stop the fuel smell. Its very slight at this point so im not to worried about but I want to see if that is the reason. Do you guys sell this part?

15107 -10 AN One Way Check Valve

Thanks for the help

Do you think that would work without causing the issue associated with the factory pprv?

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the post Jared. I figured you could get it straight better than I could. Its definitely a quality hose. I am going to try putting a aeromotive one way check valve in. I want to see if that will stop the fuel smell. Its very slight at this point so im not to worried about but I want to see if that is the reason. Do you guys sell this part?

15107 -10 AN One Way Check Valve

Thanks for the help

Do you think that would work without causing the issue associated with the factory pprv?

We can get that part for you but I suggest against it. The OEM PPRV has a relief built into it which isn't something that the 15107 check valve has. That little bit of relieve is important as there's been reports of check valved fuel systems blowing out injector o-rings and washing down the motor with fuel due to an over pressurized system. So either run a stock PPRV or completely remove it.

Hope that helps. Jared

BWH2003

Established Member
Ok thanks for the reply. The stock pprv has been out of my car the day the fore hats came out. It was the best thing I have done to my car as the lag between shifts completely went away. That was my only concern with the pressure the stock fuel system produces.

One more thing. Do you plan on having an option for the people who bought the lethal returnless system to purchase just the extra hardware need to switch to a return system? Im really leaning toward switching to a return setup as long as I can get the parts from you.

Thanks

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Ok thanks for the reply. The stock pprv has been out of my car the day the fore hats came out. It was the best thing I have done to my car as the lag between shifts completely went away. That was my only concern with the pressure the stock fuel system produces.

One more thing. Do you plan on having an option for the people who bought the lethal returnless system to purchase just the extra hardware need to switch to a return system? Im really leaning toward switching to a return setup as long as I can get the parts from you.

Thanks

I just installed my lethal/fore fuel system and I have already been thinking about that too. You know..........just in case. LOL!

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
i can confirm it is definently the fuel line emitting vapors. my garage smells like 100 octane, have to keep my garage door cracked open at night. i racked my brain for weeks trying to find a "leak"..... accidentally put the old sniffer up against the line, and there it was. this is on my returnless system, fore hat, gt pumps, etc etc

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just wanted to follow up with you guys about a conversation I had with an Eaton rep. Eaton are the manufacturers of Aeroquip fuel hose and fittings.

I spoke to Eaton as I was looking to see if I could offer an upgraded line to our fuel systems without making the price of the kit ridiculous.

I explained to him that I have customers that have complained about fuel smell from the current line we're using and that I was looking for something that doesn't have that issue. He proceeded to tell me that even the AQP Socket Less Race Hose that they offer would do the same thing. He mentioned that he's had several people call in and complain about the same thing you guys are mentioning here. That hose is a rubber inner with a rubber outer insulator and is still somewhat permeable to fuel.

With that said and the fact that the line from Aeroquip is about $2 more a foot then the Fragola line we're currently using I really don't feel that the Aeroquip hose would be an upgrade. If I do find another brand hose that in fact won't weep fuel and is reasonable in price I will consider offering it as an upgrade. Until then I'm going to stick with Fragola as they have provided us with excellent service and quality products from day 1.

Thanks, Jared

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just wanted to follow up with you guys about a conversation I had with an Eaton rep. Eaton are the manufacturers of Aeroquip fuel hose and fittings.

I spoke to Eaton as I was looking to see if I could offer an upgraded line to our fuel systems without making the price of the kit ridiculous.

I explained to him that I have customers that have complained about fuel smell from the current line we're using and that I was looking for something that doesn't have that issue. He proceeded to tell me that even the AQP Socket Less Race Hose that they offer would do the same thing. He mentioned that he's had several people call in and complain about the same thing you guys are mentioning here. That hose is a rubber inner with a rubber outer insulator and is still somewhat permeable to fuel.

With that said and the fact that the line from Aeroquip is about $3 more a foot then the Fragola line we're currently using I really don't feel that the Aeroquip hose would be an upgrade. Add into the mix that if you use the Aeroquip hose you have to use Aeroquip fittings and they're a pretty penny more than the Fragola fittings run. If I do find another brand hose that in fact won't weep fuel and is reasonable in price I will consider offering it as an upgrade. Until then I'm going to stick with Fragola as they have provided us with excellent service and quality products from day 1.

Thanks, Jared

Last edited:

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
keep us posted Jared.....my garage no longer smells like 100 octane, it now smells like 93. overall i just deal with it, but keep your eyes and ears open for less "permeable" options.

Thanks,
Erik

Jpjr

Established Member
bump - garage reaks - fuel vent/pressure relief has me curious. anyone got any new observations on this?

cobra=trouble

Established Member

same here ...but only when i use the 104 sunoco 260 plus fuel ,not the 93 paump gas...i got my kit 2.5 years ago. i think its the upgrade 8an braided hose that seeps the fumes out.
plus that hose now is braking down! i need to replace it,
NOTE TO LETHAL.. what hose you got now? is it still braided?
if so i will need to run steel braided hoses and get new fitting everywhere.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
same here ...but only when i use the 104 sunoco 260 plus fuel ,not the 93 paump gas...i got my kit 2.5 years ago. i think its the upgrade 8an braided hose that seeps the fumes out.
plus that hose now is braking down! i need to replace it,
NOTE TO LETHAL.. what hose you got now? is it still braided?
if so i will need to run steel braided hoses and get new fitting everywhere.

We still offer the Fragola 8000 series pushlite hose, their 3000 series stainless hose as well as Aeroquip AQP race hose.

After 5+ years of selling these fuel systems and fuel system components I've learned a lot. Speaking to all of the companies as well as dealing with thousands of customers allows me to speak from experience.

In regards to the hose itself. Most fuel hose even the more expensive brands all have some type of permeability which means that some vapor over time can pass through the hose. That's not to say that it will but it can. When I first contacted Aeroquip who makes the AQP hose the person I spoke to over there told me this as well and couldn't assure me that their hose wouldn't weep at some point. I was told that the only type of hose that has the least amount of permeability was the kind used on multi million dollar yachts.

With that said my experience in the beginning with the Fragola pushlite hose was that my garage smelled like fuel. However after I had some work done on the car and redid my fuel system to a triple pump system (still using the same hose) the car now doesn't smell at all. It's possible that I may have had a loose fitting somewhere or that I damaged or tore the filler neck gasket on the tank. Either of those things will cause a fuel smell. In addition to that on all of the Fore hats the PPRV is deleted. So fuel doesn't stay in the fuel line once the car is turned off. It actually travels back into the tank. My thought was that this process may pressurize the tank a bit right as the car is turned off and cause the air inside the tank to relieve itself through the Evap system or even through the filler neck.

My other personal experience is with both our 2010 GT500 and our 2011 5.0L GT. Both of them run aftermarket fuel systems with the same 8000 series fragola pushlite hose. Keeping in mind that these 2 cars are the newer body style and utilize different tanks and fuel pump assemblies which may make a difference but both of these cars don't smell at all. These cars have been in my garage at home and sit in our warehouse when we're not racing them and there's no fuel smell whatsoever.

So from that I can say for the most part that I don't believe the Fragola hose is the issue. I believe that if you have a pretty heavy smell of fuel it's either a leaky fitting, broken or torn filler neck or just how the 99-04 tanks vent when the fuel goes back into them.

I also never recommend customers to go with stainless hose as it's very difficult to work with. It's no less or more permeable then the pushlite hose so don't go crazy spending money on all new lines and fittings unless you've checked all of the other things I've mentioned. Even then there's no guarantee that the stainless hose will be the fix as mentioned earlier it may be partially due to the 99-04 tank design and how it vents itself.

Hope that helps.

Jared

cobra=trouble

Established Member
THING IS i dont smell gas or fumes with the 93 fuel , ''just the sunoco fuel'' ?
but i have noticed that a couple of times my filter screens one my 60 injector will plug up haven i miss untill i take it out and clean the nozzle on the top with carb spray and used compressed air.
so i'am replacing all the old hose..NOTE inside my stock fuel rails they had build up in it, so i will need new rails ..so will be calling soon,and yes i will need alots of fittings
I love braided hoses now

ours are 8 an correct ? my braided line on my cobra is really close to my exhast for comfort. with no way to get it out the way. unless i use 45's or 90's or move the fuel filter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread