Fuel smell and in JLT catch can.

Msteers

Established Member
I had replaced my plugs about 300 miles ago(3 weeks). Went with stock heat range NGK iridiums.

Went to check my catch can(passenger side) today and I have 2 tsb. worth of a light brown fluid. I checked it prior to changing the plugs as it has to come off to take off the coil covers. It was black as usual and looked fine. In the past id have maybe 1 tsb. of black oil vapor per oil change interval.

Now being in its very light shade of brown it also smells like fuel. The plugs that came out were foul and def due for changing.

The car just turned 50k miles young and im gonna change the oil tomorrow to see if the oil in it is the same color and has the same scent to it.

Any ideas?

scott_0

Established Member
is it cold where you live? (I'm on tapatalk, location is not shown) I'm going to assume it is, the light brown oil is a result of the cold air and moisture, I'd say it's nothing to be alarmed about

Msteers

Established Member
is it cold where you live? (I'm on tapatalk, location is not shown) I'm going to assume it is, the light brown oil is a result of the cold air and moisture, I'd say it's nothing to be alarmed about

Yeah 30 degree days. I could be running a little rich to get fuel vapor into the can.

Thanks for the info.

Tucker

Perfectly normal.
1) Condensation now that it's getting cold
2) PCV oil will have a fuel smell due to the fact that it's pressurized from the cylinder pressure.

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
Perfectly normal.
1) Condensation now that it's getting cold
2) PCV oil will have a fuel smell due to the fact that it's pressurized from the cylinder pressure.

This plus it will get milky looking due to the condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread