fuel reccomendations for boosted guys

usmcsvt98

A day in the life
Established Member
Im currently piecing together a single turbo build for my 99 gt. Upr k just installed along with coilovers, getting ready to purchase the turbo kit fairly soon. It should be complete except for fuel delivery. Realistically id like to be able to support 500whp eventually. probably around 400whp before I swap short blocks. What is the most budget friendly fuel set up for my situation? Will 60lb deka's and a pump like the deatschwerks DW65C work? If not Would just those two upgrades work if I added BAP? That pump is rated for 265lph. What kind of power can one make boosted without changing fuel tanks or using cobra hats, upgrading fuel lines etc? I would rather not go completely crazy rite away with this fuel system.

stangfreak03GT

Established Member
For that kinda power your going to need a return system. You can do around 400 with a cobra tank, twin pumps and boost a pump. Tuning is the biggest issue with the returnless system.

usmcsvt98

A day in the life
Established Member
60lb injectors and a aem 320lph pump with a kb Bap will get you there with some room to grow. This is the setup I am currently running and making 500rwhp. Still have some room to grow.

I was hoping I wasnt going to have to revamp the entire fuel system to get around 500, Glad you chimed in. What AEM pump are you running just for a heads up? any specific model number?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
For reference, my STOCK fuel pump with a boost a pump was at 95% duty cycle at 400 to the wheels. To achieve 500 it would definitely be smart to just take the plunge and get the cobra tank, pumps, etc. But a big single pump will make it happen in a GT tank.

KEVINS

Established Member
What kind of power can one make boosted without changing fuel tanks or using cobra hats, upgrading fuel lines etc? I would rather not go completely crazy rite away with this fuel system.

Mine has two GT Super pumps, BAP and returnless fuel system. With 80lb injectors my car has made 720HP/720TQ @ 18psi no problem and I plan on going for 850hp this spring. Yes, I wish it was a return type fuel system but I'll change it when it can't keep up. For 500hp you do not need a return fuel system just make sure it's done with good parts.

ks

Last edited:

rktsci25

Established Member
I switched mine to return style when I put my coyote in. But if you want to cheat... get a new 97 tank/hat from the autoparts store, go to the junk yard and grab the filler neck and return line (I switched the fuel line as well) and voila. You might not need the filler neck, but we weren't sure when we were putting it all together so I did it anyway. I run a single GSS342 and the JMS version of the BAP (it's more powerful).

However, I do think it'd be simpler to just cough up the extra money and get the divison X return style hat so you can run dual pumps, but I'm not changing anything when I take mine up to ~700.

Users who are viewing this thread