Fuel pumps died - new pumps, crank/no start

MustangThief

Established Member
Hey guys, looooong time no see :)

Fuel pumps died on the Cobra.. replaced the fuel pumps now she won't start. I'll paste what I had been keeping track of:

Car started and died immediately, was very low on gas.
Added fuel
Uploaded tune via SCT XCal2 when car wouldn't start.
Car would start with starting fluid, but would stall.
Diagnosed as bad fuel pumps
Car was towed
Fuel pumps replaced/assembly with OEM specs
--------
Key ON in ignition causes rapid theft light blinking then throws code 1 6
Cooling fan stays on while key is in ON position
Odometer reads ------------ (dashes)
SCT XCal2 powers on when plugged into OBD2 port but can't read codes or upload tune
Car cranks but does not start
Dash cluster diagnostic DTCs
dtcd043 - SCP Invalid or missing data for Traction Control
dtcd262 - Missing SCP message

I was suspecting the PCM got fried somehow... how I don't know. Or that the tune was corrupted. I got a scan tool today and could read from ABS/Anti-Theft/all other sensors but got a read error when trying to read data from the engine and powertrain computer.

I'm going to test that I'm getting power to the PCM plug, and if im getting power to the computer i'm going to have to replace it... if i'm not getting power to the PCM plug i'm thinking the CCRM could have gone bad, or the PCM relay inside of it.

I tested all fuses/relays before getting this far (besides the CCRM). Checked ALL GROUNDS. Checked all BAP wiring and connections, because I figured it had to be something with the fuel pump replacement, but it looks like somehow it wasn't related and the PCM got fried somehow? I thought maybe the tune got corrupted when I uploaded it before replacing the fuel pumps, but even then I should be able to upload my stock tune and then my custom tune to it, and it certainly would let a scan tool read data from it right? I can't even pull codes...

Edit: I also did a ton of research before posting. I went down a lot of rabbit holes with the PATS since it was throwing a PATS code. Thinking it was a transponder issue or something of the like. Checked battery etc. The cooling fan staying on i've found is a symptom of the PCM not communicating as it sends a signal to turn it off immediately when you start the car. The PATS also seems to be engaged because it also can't see/communicate with the PCM. The dash code for TCS is a memory code since I have TCS turned off in my tune. Since I couldn't pull codes from the OBD2 , the missing SCP message was the only thing I had to go off of. That also means it's missing communication from a control module, being the PCM, which is why the odometer is reading dashes.

Last edited:

MustangThief

Established Member
I could only disable PATS through the tune though as far as I know... and I can't communicate with the PCM through the OBD2 port to flash a tune onto it regardless. The issue is PATS not getting a good message from the PCM though, it seems to just be a side effect of the real issue of the PCM being bad or not getting power possibly, even though I don't think that's the issue. I read a lot of people suggesting to leave it on though.

Users who are viewing this thread