Fuel Pump upgrade Aviator or Focus??

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Well finally got the cobra motor back in after a rebuild caused by defective main timing chain, it was a full cloyes 4v kit so make sure you fully inspect the chains...

Anyway after sitting for 2 almost 3 years the fuel pump decided to take a dump not priming at all. I checked all fuses and have power going to the fuel pump with the key on. So i figured the issue is the shitty fuel in it (although premium) has reduced to crap and clogged them pump.

My question is what pump should I go for the aviator or the focus. Last dyno the car put out 380+ rwhp on stock fuel system needless to say it was maxed. Pump duty cycle was maxed from a very low RPM so we tuned it considerably up top and pulled timing. Do not want to spend a fortune on a dual or triple hat setup just want something fairly cheap to drop in and have some wiggle room with future upgrade.

Eventhough, I "plan" to sell the car I want to at least upgrade it while it is out. Which pump has more potential the focus or aviator. Only thing left to upgrade would be intake since stock intake is on it. I figure if I keep it a SR ported intake will go on it. After that I probably wont touch it my other car will be my turbo car so.

Anyway and advice on which pump is better let me know. Also any tips and pointers when removing the tank. I dropped it 4 years ago to do the filler neck gasket, I assume Ill have to do that gasket again :/.

Thanks again guys.

BTW this is an 2001 Cobra NA 5.1L with 11 to 1 compression, ported heads, Comp Cams, longtubes, stock intake

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Neither will support 400+ rwhp without a boost a pump. If I were you I'd get a Ford GT pump, 20A BAP and the lethal performance wiring upgrade.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Just an FYI, I bought the Division X 340 pump, which seems to be very similar to the JMS 340 pump, and my tuner didn't like it. He said it kept spiking the fuel pressure too high.

Others have had trouble with them burning out as well.

Mach828

Established Member
Just an FYI, I bought the Division X 340 pump, which seems to be very similar to the JMS 340 pump, and my tuner didn't like it. He said it kept spiking the fuel pressure too high.

Others have had trouble with them burning out as well.

The JMS unit is the same physical size as a walbro 255, so you don't need to mod the basket in the manner you do with the Division X.

I've been running the stryker 340 for over a year now without any problems. If you run the 340 I would drill holes in the basket and do a pprv delete. I have not had any problems with fuel pressure or inconsistent fuel flow. Regardless of the pump you pick, do a wire upgrade.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The JMS unit is the same physical size as a walbro 255, so you don't need to mod the basket in the manner you do with the Division X.

I've been running the stryker 340 for over a year now without any problems. If you run the 340 I would drill holes in the basket and do a pprv delete. I have not had any problems with fuel pressure or inconsistent fuel flow. Regardless of the pump you pick, do a wire upgrade.

Good to know, I didn't drill holes in the basket, didn't do the pprv delete or wire upgrade with it.

bigja01cobra

Established Member
I will do some research on these the JMS unit does look nice. I assume lethal has a wiring kit? Any other company make a wiring upgrade kit?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The wire upgrade is a relay, fuse holder, and some wire. You can make your own pretty cheap.

bigja01cobra

Established Member
I am leaning toward the JMS unit and a wiring upgrade. Will put together my own wiring upgrade since the battery is already relocated to trunk should be an easy update.

Users who are viewing this thread