Fuel Pump Noise?

SVTKen

Established Member
I'm not sure what the sound is I hear in my car, but I believe it may be the fuel pump. I notice the sound mostly on the highway and if I lift off the throttle, the sound disappears. When I apply a slight amount of gas, the sound comes back again. It's basically a whining sound, but it's noticeable at highway speeds when the exhaust sound doesn't cover it up.

Is it normal to hear a slight whining sound when holding steady on the throttle? Do you think it's the fuel pump or could it be something else? The reason I suspect the fuel pump is because the noise goes away when I lift off the throttle and comes back when I apply throttle again.

Thanks for your help.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That sounds like classic accel/decel gear or differential whine. Electric fuel pump noise should be present even at idle I'd expect.
-J

sftdyna

Established Member
You got gear whine for sure!! Those were my exact symptoms! Ford rebuilt my rear under warranty and I upgraded herrings and axles at the same time! Been perfect now for a 1000 miles. There have been issues with the whine coming back for many so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

SVTKen

Established Member
I'll demonstrate it to the service tech next time I bring it to the dealership. I was thinking it was gear whine too because that's what it sounds like. I just didn't expect it to disappear completely when lifting off the throttle a little bit.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll demonstrate it to the service tech next time I bring it to the dealership. I was thinking it was gear whine too because that's what it sounds like. I just didn't expect it to disappear completely when lifting off the throttle a little bit.

Mine was EXACT same, only on light accel at highway speeds and went away on decel, it got progressively worse, dealer fixed under warranty, I will tell you to consider adding a FRPP diff cover (G2 model to clear panhard rod). Mine was cured and then came back, I think the diff cover is important to support the diff caps :shrug:
All I know is that its a problem, several of us have had.
Good luck.
-J

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I have gear whine in mine and I can't see me taking it to the dealer just for that. I don't like them having any of my performance cars, let alone when guys are getting it "fixed" only to have the noise return anyway.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Yeah...my stock 2013 whines a little too. Reminds me of one of those older GMC/Ford school buses. I kind of like the whine but if it gets worse I'll probably take it in.

The best whine I ever heard was from my HS best friend parent's 92 LT1 6 spee Corvette. That thing had a rear end/or manual tranny whine (believe they had the German Getrag trannys in them) that sounded like angels singing when he accelerated in it!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My car does it also, my 2011 5.0 did it and so did my 08 GT500, I usually have the windows down anyway so I never hear it.

Simon_C

Established Member
Is the whine associated with speed or revs of the engine?

If it does it at the same speed regardless of which gear is selected it will likely be rear end. If it does it at the same rpm regardless of speed I think it is less likely to be the rear end.

I suspect mine is the transmission as it goes away if I depress the clutch and comes back when I release the clutch. From the supplement:

"Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal."

For those with rear end whine that keeps re-appearing it is likely to be the design or the setup. I did hear that the housing had been replaced on a couple of cars. If the gear whine didn't reappear on those cars then a bad casting (out of alignment) may be causing premature wear. It may be a bad batch of housings which would be why it affects some cars and keeps reappearing regardless of how well the gears are setup under the repair.

SVTKen

Established Member
I didn't notice the whine until a couple of months after I got the car. I daily drive it, and only notice under light throttle at highway speeds in high gear. The engine noise may be covering up the whine at higher RPMs. I only notice the whine at very low RPMs.

I would hate to bring it in and have them "fix" it, just to have it return in another month or two. It's not terrible, but the sound is a little annoying on the highway. It certainly isn't something I would expect from this car. It's not like it's a $20K V6 Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread