Fuel Problems with BAP

Bluebullit

Established Member
so i just put a new svt focus pump in my gt and installed a 20amp BAP.

i have 2 questions here. when it idles the fuel pressure is at 20psi is that ok?

and when i roll into the trottle it will jump up to about 40psi but if i punch it, it will dip to about 15ish and then jump to 45 and fall to 40ish. im wondering if i have something else messing up and i want to see if i can find it before i get it tuned. and i have a fuel rail pressure sensor that isnt even a year old so i dont think its that.

any ideas or is this just normal?

Bluebullit

Established Member
well it only drops when i punch it at a low RPM but once i get it tuned im going to see if it does it when im at a 40 roll and make sure it doesn't drop. but im sure if something is really wrong im sure my tuner will be able to tell with the computer.

but is the idle psi normal with the return less system?

HRTBRKR

Established Member
What kinda gauge are you using? I would install a true mech. gauge temp. and see if your gauge is reading correctly. FP should be between 32 to 38 psi @ idle I believe.

TClark22

Established Member
on my procharged GT the fuel pressure is 30 at idle...and it does move around under part throttle...just cruising i can see mine hit 40...i havnt really watched it under WOT though.

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah thats what mine used to do i think but its been so long since its been right. what pump set up do you have TClark22? i mean i do have cams and stuff so that uses more fuel and i have 39 lb injectors but i still think something is wrong in my fuel lines or some where in my fuel rails... but i dunno

TClark22

Established Member
i have 42lb injectors, ford GT pump, with 40amp BAP...i was maxing my ford GT pump at 365rwhp...lol

i do think something is wrong with mine...but the air/fuel throughout the rpm range is fine so i am not worried about it right now. i am trying to get my tuner to look at it next weekend hopefully.

flowgoode

F it!
Established Member
I have a 40amp BAP and a 255lph intank pump & 60# injectors. With the stock fuel regulator I idle at 32psi with 20-21 vaccum with the BAP hooked up using a boost switch. If you take the air hose off the fuel pressure regulator you should see 40-42psi of FP.

If the BAP is hooked up to always be on, I see between 36-38psi Idle with vaccum hose on the FPR.

During acceleration you should see basically a 1:1 ratio of Boost/Fuel Pressure. AKA 5psi boost your fuel pressure should be around 46-47psi.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
He won't have a regulator as the car is returnless.

Something is definitely wrong. Was the tune updated for the focus pump voltage table and PID? Not sure if it's a big issue with the Focus pump, but it is with the Ford GT pumps. Also, has anyone running a single Focus pump in your application overloaded the factory 2V GT FPDM? Not sure if it's any different the 03/04 Cobra FPDM. If it's the same, then that shouldn't be the problem. Have you check the BAP wiring to ensure it is hooked up correctly?

scotts99snake

Established Member
I have a SVT focus pump and 40amp bap. I called kenne bell before I bought it and they told me if the flow of the pump or pumps is~250lph or higher you need the 40amp. It isn't determined by single or double pumps but output. From there I had a shift hesistation and did the pprv delete. I don't have a gauge so I can't tell you what the pressure is. It still does it. I don't know if it is the same thing or not but I have been told the SVT Focus pumps are "slow". I was told they flow fine but they do not react to quick on/off throttle reactions. I am going to buy the 03 tank and pumps.

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah mine will drop when i shift and caues it to fall on its face but then it will pick back up so i dunno. but i think it is a 20 but im not sure i need to ask the guy who bought it for his mach 1 but thanks for the help guys and no it hasnt been tuned yet that is on friday but no matter what i turn the BAP to the fuel pressure does the same thing it does with it on 0 so i dunno whats wrong... im about to just go buy a returnless setup and leave it alone

WDW MKR

Established Member
The Focus pump does not flow 250lph. from everything I've seen It may be advertised as such, but bench testing at equal pressure shows otherwise. A lot of random tests have been done at varying pressures with different setups, which skews the results. The Ford GT pump only flows around 210lph @ 60psig and the Focus is less than that. I believe it is less than 200lph.

WDW MKR

Established Member
yeah mine will drop when i shift and caues it to fall on its face but then it will pick back up so i dunno. but i think it is a 20 but im not sure i need to ask the guy who bought it for his mach 1 but thanks for the help guys and no it hasnt been tuned yet that is on friday but no matter what i turn the BAP to the fuel pressure does the same thing it does with it on 0 so i dunno whats wrong... im about to just go buy a returnless setup and leave it alone

You already have returnless. I assume you meant you're considering a return setup.

If the tune hasn't been changed to accomodate the different pump, that very well may be your problem. This is assuming a single pump application requires the aforementioned tune modifications for a Focus pump swap. I would also be suspect of wiring and the internal pressure relief valve, which is one reason why most choose the Ford GT pump over the Focus.

Last edited:

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah i meant return lol but we took out my fuel pressure fitting and out a manual aeromotive fuel pressure gauge right on the fuel rail and we started it up and i was getting 32 psi at idle and just by moving the throttle i was seeing over 40 just going up to like 2k rpm's so i think everything is fine

oh and the Ford GT pump might flow more but it isn't designed to fit in a mustang gt tank and the focus is and my shop told me to get this pump. cause to run the GT pump you have to put O-rings on the connector to the fuel line and that sometimes causes a fuel leak back into the tank. but im going Friday to get it tuned so i think everything will work just fine. thanks for all the help guys and i hope in the future ill be able to return the favor.

thanks all
Cory

Users who are viewing this thread