Fuel pressure regulator???

SLOWNED

Established Member
Can someone list some symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator and any way to test if its bad?

I thought i had a leaking injector so i went ahead and sent them all out to get cleaned up and rebuilt. But i just got them back in the mail today with pre and post tests and it shows that my injectors were not leaking to begin with. I had suspected a leaking injector because i had 1 fouled spark plug and my car was starting to run rich. I was also having a hard time starting up my car AFTER the first start.

I had my entire ignition system replaced about two months ago so i know its not ignition related. I was really hoping it was a leaking injector and i was bummed out to find out that it wasnt. Now before i go and reinstall my injectors, id like to know what some of the symptoms of a bad FPR are. Id hate to reinstall my injectors and put everything back together only to find out that i have to pull it all off again.

95PGTTech

Established Member
fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the rail. measure fuel pressure with no vaccuum and then 20 inches of vacuum.

I seriously doubt it's your issue, the FPR issue would be across all cylinders. bad plug, ignition problem on that cylinder is more likely. also explains the running rich issue as that unburnt air/fuel is getting into the exhaust.

compression and leak down test?

SLOWNED

Established Member
I have an adjustable fpr currently.

I don't see how I could have an ignition problem as I just replaced the entire ignition system. I had suspected a leaking injector but test results show they aren't leaking...maybe I should just go ahead and reinstall them and see what happens.

crazycarlo

Established Member
what did u replace ur ignition parts with? stock, aftermarket? we need brands. also what kind of plugs u using and what gap?

SLOWNED

Established Member
replaced my wires with frpp wires, coil packs are msd, plus are ngk tr6 gapped to .32 i believe.

SLOWNED

Established Member
Lol that's so funny that you say that because my fpr is a bbk as well. I did a search and read that I may not even need an aftermarket fpr and the stock unit will do just fine for boosted applications.

crazycarlo

Established Member
well i dunno the coils are known to cause trouble thats why most ppl use the stock ones, however I dont think thats ur problem here,

95PGTTech

Established Member
spark tester on the cylinder that went bad, compression and leak down test. diagnose the issue or keep doing complete guesses in the dark, your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread