Fuel level gauge issue?

mr.magic

Established Member
Ok what am I doing wrong? A few weeks ago I had to drop the tank for some pressure issues I was having. Having a nearly empty tank after installing I went to go fuel up. After fueling my gauge read 0 with the low fuel light on. I assumed that I did not put the float in properly or it maybe had come lose. So after running it a bit to lower the fuel level I dropped it again and found the float to be perfectly intact. So I started checking other things and could not find any errors. After dropping the tank I removed some fuel to make it light for an easier install. When I started it up to go get fuel the gauge was working so yeaa problem solved right. Nope after fueling again same thing 0 with low light. I ran through another tank and at 1/4 a tank the gauge magically begins working and light goes out. It has been functioning this way for a few tanks now so what am I missing.

mr.magic

Established Member
Update with solution: Apparently somewhere in-between dropping and installing the tank I broke the ceramic board inside the fuel sending unit. It broke at what would be the 1/4 mark so thats the reason for its functioning in such manner. I ordered a new unit from Tousley($92) which was way cheaper than the next closest competitor. I then attempted to install the new unit without completely detaching the hat from fuel line(bad idea :)!) and subsequently broke the new unit. What was interesting is the manner in which it broke is exactly the same angled break as the other one. You can quite literally Mic the two of them and find the same measurements top to bottom corner to corner.

Users who are viewing this thread