Fuel Injectors and miscellaneous maint.

fullofvenom

Established Member
I was bored this weekend, so I decided to do some maintenance on the car. Its had a slight bog when the RPMs are low and you step on the go pedal, so I thought maybe something was not flowing correctly (either air or fuel). I figured I'd inspect the IMRCs that I cleaned about 10K iles ago too, just to see how they are holding up. What I found surprised me. I removed the fuel rail and removed the injectors to inspect them. Almost every one of the O-rings was frayed or busted up. The little plastic "hats" on the injectors were cracked (everyone of them). What a mess. Luckily, BorgWarner makes a seal kit, so I replaced all the seals and hats. Got it all back together (after some stupid mistakese like getting the imrcs, lower intake, fuel rails and wiring harness back in place only to realize I forgot to plug in the imrc control plug!!!) and man, what a difference. No bog, no miss.....revs right up.

One serious pain in the butt is the coolant. As you probably know, you've got to drain it a bit to get the intake off. Well, I decided to not drain the whole system (because I'd just done that not so long ago), only using a hand suction pump to draw enough coolant out of the cross over tube fill plug. I figured that would be the best way to not let any air into the system. The cross over tube O-rings were pretty ebat up too. I tried to reinstall them, because I couldn't readily find replacements, but the pressure of the coolant made the tube leak where it goes inot the heads. Made a nice smoke show when I took it out for a test ride after finishing. Luckily, all the coolant laying in their burned up. Took me three times of warming it up, letting the pressure subside and refilling the level to get it to a point where it doesn't spike run up to the "A" in NORMAL before the fan kicks on.

Moral of the story:
1. take your time when putting things back together. Its easy to forget something very important.
2. getting the coolant level set correctly takes some fiddling.
3. plan ahead and get the parts you need (or might need) in advance of starting anything. as a weekend wrench man, its a real pain in the ass to try to find correct parts for a cobra on a saturday morning (let alone a sunday morning).

Just thoguht I'd share.

LSWHAT??

Good Tips.. I recently cleaned my IMRC's and found that two of the orange hats on the injectors were cracked. I replaced all the doughnut o-rings but not the hats, does this affect performance?

fullofvenom

Established Member
I suppose if the hat was broken to where it was distrorting the spray it could, but I don't have facts to back that up. Replacing the O rings so you have a nice tight seal is probably enough to make it work as intended.

thsoe hats were a pain the ass to get on and off. they are just pressed on plastic with a little lip inside the hat to keep it on the injector tip. i broke the first one trying to force it on, then I learned to slooowly work it from side to side and all was good from there out.

LSWHAT??

I might try and pick some up and just replace them all, I am having real issues with the cobra right now and that could be part of the problem.

Thanks!

fullofvenom

Established Member
wish I had a part number on the seal kit for you, but I don't. they were $2.50/per at pep boys, borg warner was the manufac.

yeah, i read your other post about the whacky idle. that sucks. could be anything really. i'd chase down those codes that were pulled first, then see what else pops up.

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread