Fuel injector install, cake or pain in the ass?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I scored a set of <30,000 mile OEM fuel injectors to replace my 185,000+ stock ones and I'm wondering if there's anything I need to know about the install or if it's easy as pie.

Also, is there anything you guys can think of that I should replace while I'm in that area? Fuel pressure regulator maybe?

Thanks guys

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
For the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to get these injectors on my car man! ;] jk

It is pretty straight forward..not sure how much of a clutter/wiring you have going on around them..but really easy regardless. Just make sure you either replace or atleast inspect all the o-rings on the injectors and make sure they are all seated in properly.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
Livernois rebuilds & flow tests injectors for around 100bucks. its not hard at all, I lost count of how many times they have been in&out of my car.

EDIT-120Bucks

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Cake. You just have to pull the upper intake and then there is only 2 small bolts per rail, they pop right off, swap the injectors and make sure they seat properly, re-install everything. I could probably do it start to finish in 15 minutes.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You might want the little tools for the fuel line fittings. you can get them at Autozone.

You can do this if you'd like, they're cheap and handy to have, but you do not have to remove the rails from the lines to replace the injectors. You can simply lay the rail & line assembly off and out of the way and have more than adequate room the replace the inejctors.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Thanks guys, doesn't sound bad at all, I've never cleaned my IMRC's or secondaries but I'm not really sure if I want to pull them and clean them since I've seen it become a nightmare so many times... Once the upper intake is off is there a semi easy way to pull the intake runners off and hose some carb cleaner down on/in the secondaries and onto the IMRC's to break up some of what I'm sure at 185,000+ miles is a complete mess???

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Thanks guys, doesn't sound bad at all, I've never cleaned my IMRC's or secondaries but I'm not really sure if I want to pull them and clean them since I've seen it become a nightmare so many times... Once the upper intake is off is there a semi easy way to pull the intake runners off and hose some carb cleaner down on/in the secondaries and onto the IMRC's to break up some of what I'm sure at 185,000+ miles is a complete mess???

sorry only way to reach them is by pulling the upper and the lower intake, if you have 185k on them they are likely fully covered in crap to the pint they barely work lol. Take the time and do it right, you will be rewarded with horsepower and much better drive ability.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
sorry only way to reach them is by pulling the upper and the lower intake, if you have 185k on them they are likely fully covered in crap to the pint they barely work lol. Take the time and do it right, you will be rewarded with horsepower and much better drive ability.

To pull the lower intake I have to pull the coolant crossover and a few other pain in the ass things right?
It's my only car and EVERYTHING is rusted to hell so I'm assuming that doing it right will turn into a multi day fiasco so I'm waiting until I get another one :)

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Its not as bad as your thinking. The injectors should take about an hour and to get the lower intake out to pull your IMRC's really isnt that much more to take off.

6 lower intake bolts, coolant crossover, couple gaskets.. Its not bad at all...

Then get some coolant and 4 or 5 cans of carb cleaner.

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
The coolant crossover is the main thing that I'm worried about, it's COMPLETELY rusted now and looks like it's about to just disintegrate if a stiff breeze comes across the engine bay :(

KCRN12

Established Member
See if you can locate a crossover at a junk yard or something. If it's that bad, it should prob be replaced anyway. But honestly the crossover is fairly thick (though it doesn't look like it) so you're probably ok. Mine had a bunch of rust and looked terrible, but even though it looked like it was about to fall apart, it cleaned off really easily with a wire wheel and I just repainted it. It looked like deep rust, but was just surface stuff.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
See if you can locate a crossover at a junk yard or something. If it's that bad, it should prob be replaced anyway. But honestly the crossover is fairly thick (though it doesn't look like it) so you're probably ok. Mine had a bunch of rust and looked terrible, but even though it looked like it was about to fall apart, it cleaned off really easily with a wire wheel and I just repainted it. It looked like deep rust, but was just surface stuff.
+1. It the corrosion from the inside out you have to worry about if your cooling system is not properly maintained.The crud will interfere with proper operation of the IMRC's, so you should plan on cleaning them soon so they won't cause a problem when you least want it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread