fuel filters

chris 96cobra

Established Member
hey yall i working on 96 cobra.im about to order a fuel filter but not sure which to pick.first i have a sump gas tank an plan to run a aeromotive A1000 pump
they have a 10 an 100 micron filter which would be good to use ,im trying to build a budget the 10 is $79.95 the 100 is $99.95.

i have seen filters on both sides of the pump,is that necessary or can i use one filter

(built bottom 4.6 vortech 10psi)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You want the 10 micron.

And I've seen many with just 1.

If you want 2 you can run the 100 before the pump just to make sure bigger particles don't hit the pump and the 10 after to keep the fine stuff out of the injectors.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
hey yall i working on 96 cobra.im about to order a fuel filter but not sure which to pick.first i have a sump gas tank an plan to run a aeromotive A1000 pump
they have a 10 an 100 micron filter which would be good to use ,im trying to build a budget the 10 is $79.95 the 100 is $99.95.

i have seen filters on both sides of the pump,is that necessary or can i use one filter

(built bottom 4.6 vortech 10psi)

i know the 100micron is the main filter and some people use the 10 as a extra filter in the setup. The kit I bought from glenns performance which has yet to be installed comes with just the 100 filter.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
i know the 100micron is the main filter and some people use the 10 as a extra filter in the setup. The kit I bought from glenns performance which has yet to be installed comes with just the 100 filter.

That is how they come.

On a street car where you are getting gas at different stations I've run the set up I posted previously with the 10 after the pump.

On a race car where you are using race gas or other "Clean" fuel the 100 before the pump as the only filter is great.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
anyone know how long before these things need to be replaced? Since these aren't your average $10 motocraft filters that you chane every 5-6K miles or so I wonder what the life expetancy is...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Well, 10 micron is the most common size element out there IIRC.

I would change it as often as any other fuel filter. Maybe a little more often due to its small size.

It depends also on quality of fuel.

I'd personally never go the 10,000 That I do on stock type filters.

So yea, I guess 5,000 or so would be good.

Anytime I used Aeromotive it was on race cars so the miles were done 1/4 at a time. lol

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
$80-$100 every 5K? LOL! I assumed you changed the stock filters more often because of their inability to filter that well. A filter this expensive doesn't seem like it should be changed that much, sure you're still using the same kind of gas but it should be able to clean better. *dunno*

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I don't see that as so expensive, really. Fuel filters are cheap compared to say, a motor for example.

Besides, when you think about it, even if you were changing the entire filter and not just the element that is about as much as you will spend on oil changes in 10,000 miles. The cost doesn't really seem that unreasonable when you look at it that way.

My94GT

Established Member
i havent put it on the car yet so i could always pick up a 10micron filter for after. they are pretty cheap

chris 96cobra

Established Member
wow thanks tons of inputs,i guess i gona go 10 after pump an try that it a daily driver but i think as long as i change the element it'll be fine

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
i emailed Glenns Performance and ask them the same question, told them it was going on a daily driver and they said there have been no problems running just the 100 filter with Walbro pumps. Here is the exact reply.

"We have had no problems running just the 100 mic pre filter. Walbros do not put contaminants in the fuel like the Aeromotive,Weldons etc. But you can always run 2 inline 10 mics if you like, kit comes with 1 100 mic pre filter.
You will need 4 -6 st hose ends and 2 10 mic filters"

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Just don't put a 10 micron before the pump. It can cause starvation issues.

If you trust just the 100 before that is fine, or do the 100 before the pump and 10 after.

Users who are viewing this thread