Fuel Filter Changed (car wont run)

ShiftinGT

Established Member

Hey everyone,
Just changed by fuel filter on my 2000 mustang GT 5 speed with a Motorcraft fuel filter and now the car won't stay running unless the clutch is pushed all the way in or I give it gas. I'm pretty sure I primed the pump right to build pressure. I turned the key to on 3 times then tried to start it. Realized I had the gas cap still of and put it back on and tried again still the same situation. I disconnected the inertia switch before I changed it. Does that have anything to do with it? What is the red button on top of it for?
Please help me

95PGTTech

Established Member
The red button on top of the intertia switch is the reset button. You should not have messed with the inertia switch before doing a fuel filter. Ensure the gas cap is tight, the switch is connected properly and the red button is FULLY depressed downward.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Oh gotcha I just disconnected it to start the car because I read it would reduce the amount of gas that leaks out when you change it. The switch is all the way down. Still not running. Plugged in my bama sctx4 and says p0602. Always something

95PGTTech

Established Member
Internet myth - just change out the fuel filter, no other steps needed.
Put the stock tune back in it with the handheld, see where you get.
That DTC is for a PCM error.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Put the stock tune on and it seemed like it was gonna die but I gave it some gas and it continued running. One thing I noticed this time the speedometer went up as well as the RPM. I think I had the car in gear lmao. The car is still on jackstands so it would make sense. Thanks for the help.

95PGTTech

Established Member
If that was the case, you're very fortunate that didn't go south quick when you were letting the clutch out.

bobby_0081

Established Member

Hey everyone,
Just changed by fuel filter on my 2000 mustang GT 5 speed with a Motorcraft fuel filter and now the car won't stay running unless the clutch is pushed all the way in or I give it gas. I'm pretty sure I primed the pump right to build pressure. I turned the key to on 3 times then tried to start it. Realized I had the gas cap still of and put it back on and tried again still the same situation. I disconnected the inertia switch before I changed it. Does that have anything to do with it? What is the red button on top of it for?
Please help me

Did you figure it out?

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yeah apparently it was in gear. Didn't realize cause the rear was on jackstands and I was too focused on the car not running

Users who are viewing this thread