Fuel filter brand?

qkslvr221

Established Member
Going to head out and pick up a replacement one today, and was wondering what brand you guys use. The ford manual spec says MOTORCRAFT FG-800A, but what about other brands such as ACDelco and Purolator? Anyone here can vouch for their quality?

Thanks guys :beer:

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
i just got the motorcraft one a couple minutes ago, and i was wondering where it is since ive never changed the filter?

GREGSVT

Banned
Put a purolator on and it leaked.. Then I got a motorcraft and it was fine.. I'll only buy motorcraft..:rockon:

Last edited:

prowlnviper

Established Member
I used a purolator and no problem, but it would not hurt to have a motorcraft one on for peace of mind. ;)

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i put an autozone one on my expedition last week. hasn't leaked so far. was a pretty simple install.

remember to pick up a fuel line disconnect. Autozone also sells the tool for cheap.

qkslvr221

Established Member
Alright, ended up picking up a purolator one and putting it in myself. Easy as pie, just bled the line by pulling the fuse and firing it up, the hardest part was getting that damn housing off!

Turns out that the ORIGINAL filter was still on there, with 98,000 miles on it! Needless to say the car is like a whole new animal now, feels 100x more responsive!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
yeah, mine had 100K miles on it on the expedition. cleared up a lot of pinging i was having. Still need to change the wires and plugs, and probably going to put some spare coil packs on it. cause it still pings on the highway pulling hill in OD

qkslvr221

Established Member
Doug said:
yeah, mine had 100K miles on it on the expedition. cleared up a lot of pinging i was having. Still need to change the wires and plugs, and probably going to put some spare coil packs on it. cause it still pings on the highway pulling hill in OD

I was real surprised just how much it helped. I recommend anyone that hasn't replaced it to just go out and pick one up for 6 bucks yourself, and don't pay 50 bucks for some mechanic to do it. :beer:

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
i dont think it matters which one you use, just that you replace it as scheduled. this is one of the most overlooked maintence issues on cars period, sans tranny fluid.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
just put mine in, the origional one was still in there with 71000 on it, also picked up a bottle of seafoam, it feels like a new car, and way more responsive

qkslvr221

Established Member
quadcammer said:
imho, the most overlooked maintenance item by far is brake fluid.

Yep, that too. When I had my rear rotors replaced they found that the original brake fluid was still there :kaboom: man I want to find the previous owner and smack him one.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe I used a Fram. Took 5 minutes.
My stocker was still there with 116k on the clock!
Believe it or not, I didn't notice any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread