Fuel cooler

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I am adding a small fuel cooler to my fore return fuel system. Best option to plumb it?
Before the filter, after the filter, on the return side? All comments appreciated.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Thanks for the confirmation. That was my first thought too, I have only seen them used on heavy trucks and buses. and that was where they were.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just food for thought, but I monitor my fuel temps through the flex fuel sensor and I don't think I've seen higher than 80 degrees. I am running a dead head system though and I'm taking the reading from the return line.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I don’t know if I will be heating the fuel or not, I am running duel Walbro 465 pumps so I don’t want to take any chances. Might as well put the cooler in while I am putting the fuel system together rather than have to deal with it later. Near as I can tell, other than a little restriction, the cooler can’t hurt.

DCguy

Established Member
Malcolm had a thread on this a while back where his fuel temps were through the roof and causing issues. Then he moved the regulator out of the engine bay and in the passenger fender and it basically cut the temps in half….fuel cooler not a bad idea.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I don’t know if I will be heating the fuel or not, I am running duel Walbro 465 pumps so I don’t want to take any chances. Might as well put the cooler in while I am putting the fuel system together rather than have to deal with it later. Near as I can tell, other than a little restriction, the cooler can’t hurt.
How much power you planning? I have the same setup, dead headed, regulator in the engine bay and though I can’t confirm, I don’t see any issues with mine. I’m 670w on E85 so not moving as much fuel as a lot of people.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have my regulator in the fender well.

I believe Malcolm ended up going back to a flow through set up. I think it had to do with the cold starts. I've been thinking about going to a flow through to see if it helps my cold starts.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
How much power you planning? I have the same setup, dead headed, regulator in the engine bay and though I can’t confirm, I don’t see any issues with mine. I’m 670w on E85 so not moving as much fuel as a lot of people.
Hoping for 600w on pump gas, no E85 anywhere near, just a stock block with a 2.3 Whipple, with currently stock size lower pulliy. I have 3” on the Whipple right now and will get the Metco kit soon.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have my regulator in the fender well.

I believe Malcolm ended up going back to a flow through set up. I think it had to do with the cold starts. I've been thinking about going to a flow through to see if it helps my cold starts.
I read that article from Malcom as well, My fuel regulator will be in the right front fender too, still humming and hawing about dead head or flow through, I might try the dead head system first, I can always change it but it has worked for a lot of folks. This is just a cruiser car, not going to see a lot of hard miles. Certainly not looking to make it a “Max effort” car.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Overall I don't have any real problems with the deadhead. The only "problem" I have is the first cold start when it's 60 degrees and below and it's on full E85. I'm sure that's more of a tune issue as when it's on pump gas it starts just fine. I do like the deadhead because it's cleaner under the hood. I'm well over 700rwhp on E85 and over 600 on pump 91.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Overall I don't have any real problems with the deadhead. The only "problem" I have is the first cold start when it's 60 degrees and below and it's on full E85. I'm sure that's more of a tune issue as when it's on pump gas it starts just fine. I do like the deadhead because it's cleaner under the hood. I'm well over 700rwhp on E85 and over 600 on pump 91.
That’s my only issue too. Long cranking and kind of slow chugging starting up (if it sits for several days and it’s the first start). After that it’s fine. I should log it and make adjustments im just too lazy and it’s not that’s big of a deal to me.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Nice! Just hoping for 600 here if I can get it
No E85 just 93 here. I would like to go dead head too and will get moving on it as soon as I get a bunch of things crossed off my honey do list

01yellercobra

Established Member
That’s my only issue too. Long cranking and kind of slow chugging starting up (if it sits for several days and it’s the first start). After that it’s fine. I should log it and make adjustments im just too lazy and it’s not that’s big of a deal to me.
The only reason it bugs me is when that happens it gives me the cam sync fault so I have to restart it to clear the fault. One of these days I'll change out the cam sensor to a hall effect.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
The only reason it bugs me is when that happens it gives me the cam sync fault so I have to restart it to clear the fault. One of these days I'll change out the cam sensor to a hall effect.
It’s always the little things that big you the most isn’t it? The bigger things tend to get done because they need to for it to run, the little stuff just seems to get put off till a later date

01yellercobra

Established Member
It’s always the little things that big you the most isn’t it? The bigger things tend to get done because they need to for it to run, the little stuff just seems to get put off till a later date
Yeah. That's why the last round of little stuff took so long to get done. I need to buy the parts and put them on the bench. That'll bug me to get it done.

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread