Fuel Consumption vs. Gear...

00BlackGT

Established Member
So today while driving around i got to thinking, i want to hear your opinions...

so at WOT at lets assume 10psi of manifold pressure at 5500rpms are you using the same or more fuel under the same conditions in 3rd vs. 4th gear, i understand the faster you go the greater the friction drag is but if these conditions create 100% load wouldnt the consumptions be equal?

the higher gears (numerically lower) make for slower acceleration.

if a vehicle is tuned on a loaded dyno in 3rd gear, is the top of 4th going to have enough fuel if the FP is at 99% DC in 3rd gear to pull to the top of 4th.

i believe the Volume flow rate is the same throughout all gears at the same conditions, is this correct?

Last edited:

HotStart

Fastest Stock Daytona
Established Member
the greater the load, the more fuel needed. the higher the gear, the greater the load.

I think you're confusing load on the engine with engine load in terms of air consumption.

i believe the Volume flow rate is the same throughout all gears at the same conditions, is this correct?

As long as you have "x" amount of air, you will need "Y" amount of fuel to hit the same lambda target. This doesn't change because your in a taller gear or going uphill.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I think you're confusing load on the engine with engine load in terms of air consumption.

As long as you have "x" amount of air, you will need "Y" amount of fuel to hit the same lambda target. This doesn't change because your in a taller gear or going uphill.

my mistake. i didnt realize he was talking about WOT only. not at WOT, the load does matter because you have to open the throttle farther to maintain the same speed or acceleration, there for more air. but at WOT that doesnt matter. oops :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread