Fuel Cell, Mini Tubs, and Built Rear End/Suspension Install

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So I've been out of it for a long time now. Work and life has just been so incredibly busy and exhausting [but in the best possible way!]. It is crazy how much I miss working on this damn thing.

I've been holding off on all this because I kind of wanted to do it all together at once...anyways.. pictures!

This is where I was starting..sump is looking a little rough
8570487922_7ac6e722aa_z.jpg

Don't mind my sock, engine cover for my G35, or carburetor jet kit, lol
8577944865_f2aaaa086a_z.jpg

andddddddd it's gone.
8570494684_e6bffbded0_z.jpg

Doing some cleaning up on a 3 stage external oil pump I picked up from NMRA the other weekend.. going to pull it apart and go through it.
8577955509_c94d49cf1c_z.jpg

A little cutting... a little bit of beating the shit out of it... it eventually comes out.
8579060026_8f2059daca_z.jpg

Unfortunately my cutting wheel separated and disintegrated on me.. so I had to bust out the jigsaw to finish cutting out some of the things, however I can't cut everything I need to with the jigsaw. There are a lot of reinforcement boxes and plates that really need the cutting wheel. So this is what I'm left for now, so I'm not done cutting up my trunk yet... still have my tubs to do too!
8577957669_08576bba60_z.jpg

The fuel cell
8578024297_b9924e58c8_z.jpg

Oh yea.. so I'm going to be picking up a welder too.. never welded before, so I figured right now would be a great time to start! haha

Unfortunately this weekend [or fortunately actually] I'll be down in Miami for Ultra Music Festival, so I won't be able to get this rear end down to TRZ to have them start building it.. but that will be on my list of things to do next weekend!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Pretty much everything from TRZ.

spherical housing bushings, double adjustable lowers, adjustable lower mounts, adjustable coil over brackets, AFCO double adjustable coil overs, adjustable uppers, anti-roll bar, and the rear end will be fully braced. Everything should be solid bushings.. at least I don't think there will be any rubber anywhere in my rear suspension.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Sub'ing.

Damn you..now I'm going to start cutting up my car lol. Been wanting to for some time now!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Awesome! I can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks! It's going to be a bit of a slow process with everything else I have going on right now too. I'm also taking my time with everything and making sure I do it right and exactly how I want it the first time.

car is going to be nuts we need a meet up when our cars are on the road

Well your car is already a BEAST! && Most definitely!

You are one crazy man.

Have fun at Ultra!

Haha, I'm actually kinda bummed that I don't get to work on it this weekend because of it.. but I'm super stoked to go! I was at EDC last year and had a blast.

one of my favorite sn's on the net, cool project

Thanks man, I really appreciate the compliment!

Sub'ing.

Damn you..now I'm going to start cutting up my car lol. Been wanting to for some time now!

Time to start busting out the cutting torches and get to work! :banana::pepper:

itSSlow98

Established Member

spherical housing bushings, double adjustable lowers, adjustable lower mounts, adjustable coil over brackets, AFCO double adjustable coil overs, adjustable uppers, anti-roll bar, and the rear end will be fully braced. Everything should be solid bushings.. at least I don't think there will be any rubber anywhere in my rear suspension.

Sounds exactly like my setup except I have adjustable spring mounts and strange 10 way adjustables. The suspension is pretty noise driving around just fyi but the car dead hooks from any gear.

pacific4v

Established Member

Sounds pretty similar to my rear setup except mine is baseline. I just put it on this winter so I haven't gotten to test it out yet. Oh, and AFCO is located like 5 minutes from me

Noreast

Established Member
Sick project! Idk your price for a welder but buy a miller. Nothing else! Hobarts are also a good brand but nothing is better than a miller. Must get a gas welder too other wise the welds will look like trash

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Sounds exactly like my setup except I have adjustable spring mounts and strange 10 way adjustables. The suspension is pretty noise driving around just fyi but the car dead hooks from any gear.

Exactly what I want to hear! I can't wait to see this pretty rear end with all new equipment for once

well guess you better learn to weld and weld well.

Something I have been meaning to do for a very long time now!

Sick project! Idk your price for a welder but buy a miller. Nothing else! Hobarts are also a good brand but nothing is better than a miller. Must get a gas welder too other wise the welds will look like trash

I am looking at a Lincoln MIG 180, really don't want to spend more than 600 since I have never welded before and I am not trying to become a professional or anything like that.lol. I like how I can buy a spool gun and weld aluminum as well.

I will still have someone good weld my actual cage..but I will try to do everything else myself.

Noreast

Established Member
Exactly what I want to hear! I can't wait to see this pretty rear end with all new equipment for once

Something I have been meaning to do for a very long time now!

I am looking at a Lincoln MIG 180, really don't want to spend more than 600 since I have never welded before and I am not trying to become a professional or anything like that.lol. I like how I can buy a spool gun and weld aluminum as well.

I will still have someone good weld my actual cage..but I will try to do everything else myself.

honestly its not that hard. It just take some time to figure out the right heat needed and how fast to set your wire speed. Once you learn all that stuff is simple. Is that one electric only no gas? If its nothing anyone is going to see than itll work just fine.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
honestly its not that hard. It just take some time to figure out the right heat needed and how fast to set your wire speed. Once you learn all that stuff is simple. Is that one electric only no gas? If its nothing anyone is going to see than itll work just fine.

Yea I'm going to practice on a bunch of random scrap metal until I feel comfortable with everything. If anything I'll just tack weld what I need in place and then go over everything with solid beads once I feel comfortable.

The one I am looking at is a gas welder. Thankfully I have a Tractor Supply right down the street too, so refilling my tanks won't be an issue at all.

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
Welder is something you want to buy the best you can afford if you will be using it more than once. I am about a month away from being certified and have welded for about 6 years now. It's a lot easier to get the heat and wire settings you need and make a better weld on a nicer machine.

OW99

Established Member
I have a cheap electric mig welder. I feel embarrassed every time I weld something. Looks horrible. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread