FTVB -> How do I know if I have it or not?

DSM Storm

Established Member
Hey guys. First off, I wanted to mention that I had bought this truck used from Ford and it was already modded. Its an 01, and it came with a Metco CAI, engine back exhaust, glass hood, a re-tune which ford overwrote, and a 4x4 trans pan. The way I have been working my mods are basically Ill buy a set of mods for performance and then later ill get stuff for safety. A month ago I bought a metco quick interchange 2lb lower. Today I would like to get a moroso pan, change the trans/torque converter fluid and a FTVB.

My question is... how do I know if I have a FTVB? The previous owner obviously changed the trans pan to a 4x4 unit, and I dont know if he changed the VB at the same time. What are the driving characteristics on a fairly stock truck with a FTVB? Some say it will shift real hard to the point it will bark 2nd @ WOT. I've driven mustangs, GM's with shift kits. It definatly doesnt seem as harsh. Whats bothering me is that Ive been putting this off all summer. Any information is appriciated.

Storm

TXRickC

Established Member
Could be a FTVB, LFP Valve Body, JLP/Level 10 Valve Body, Line Mod valve swap or another.

On the FTVB, greg usually signed his name on it along with the version number. Most likely with a Sharpie marker so not sure if it would still be there once submerged in trans fluid or not.

Last edited:

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
If it has a 4x4 pan on it, chances are it has a valve body in it. I am assuming its got the Factory Tech one from Chickenears in it, bc he sells a combo with the 4x4 pan. Which is what I got for my truck.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
DSM Storm said:
I would have already done that if I had his information. Dealer wont give it out.

Storm

that sucks....does carfax release the previous owner's name? I'm guessing not since that would likely be illegal.

chiz

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
buying modded trucks has its' advantages, but these are the few times it kinda blows. As stated previously, if it has the 4x4 pan chances are it MAY have a valve body in it. If it blows the tires off from 1st to second, chances are it has a valve body. Another thing to consider is if the TQ reduction has been turned OFF by the tuner. When I put my 01 L back to stock it was clearly evident that the TQ REDUCTION was back on.

DSM Storm

Established Member
venomous said:
buying modded trucks has its' advantages, but these are the few times it kinda blows. As stated previously, if it has the 4x4 pan chances are it MAY have a valve body in it. If it blows the tires off from 1st to second, chances are it has a valve body. Another thing to consider is if the TQ reduction has been turned OFF by the tuner. When I put my 01 L back to stock it was clearly evident that the TQ REDUCTION was back on.

In a way it was nice, I got a couple extra goodies for it when I bought it. The bonus being the bassani exhaust and headers etc...

I dont understand what you mean by turning off the torque reduction? Im assuming this is something to do with the torque converter/transmission program?

Storm

Users who are viewing this thread