FTBR Kit & FRPP Diff Cover Install

Jkay98

Established Member
Well winter is around the corner and my car has been sitting in the garage for over a month now so I finally decided to start tearing it apart. Surprisingly, it has been fairly easy and quick. I have about 2 hours total into removing the IRS and removing the diff. The only thing that sucks is working on the ground. I was also surprised on how easy it was lowering the IRS with a jack under the diff, although I'm sure putting it back in will be more of a challenge.

A couple things that I have noticed is there is alot of dirt build up on the drivers side out boot on the axle although I don't see any axle grease anywhere. On the same side I noticed at the diff there is some slight oil spray on the IRS. I attached some pictures below. I am thinking I may replace the oil seals on the diff while its out.

One thing that annoys me about this car is it only has 12,000 miles and the underneath is so dirty along with rust spots on the IRS. When I removed the rear seat to disconnect the ABS sensors I found some gum wrappers and a couple marbles so I assume the previous owner had kids and drove the car whenever he felt like it. I guess the only benefit of having a car that isn't pristine is that I don't have to be too particular about things like I usually am with my vehicles.

With the Diff removed from the IRS, my next step is to install the FRPP diff cover. My only question is, is it safe to spray brake clean inside to remove the old gear oil? I also confirmed it has 3.73's in it.

Anyhow I figured I would share my progress and any tips or advice is appreciated.
IRS.jpgAxle.jpgDiff.jpg

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
With the Diff removed from the IRS, my next step is to install the FRPP diff cover. My only question is, is it safe to spray brake clean inside to remove the old gear oil? I also confirmed it has 3.73's in it.

yes its safe to spray brake fluid just air hose it out and the rest will evaporate

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
OP:

I would not spray brakekleen inside of your diff to clean it out. Once you have the cover off you can take some disposable towels or wipes and clean the clutch diff sludge out of the bottom of the diff. You will be good to go.

Your outer halfshaft boot photo looks like you have a bad bearing on that side. The halfshaft retaining nut most likely came loose and now the bearing is bad and when the bearing goes bad the seal won't keep the grease inside of the bearing and that's what you're seeing. If you post a pic of the inside of your knuckle on that side I can confirm that. If it's all dark and greasy, you need to replace your bearing on that side as well.

That grease spot on the inside of the halfshaft is indicative of a bad seal.

Hope that helps.

:beer:

Jkay98

Established Member
OP:

I would not spray brakekleen inside of your diff to clean it out. Once you have the cover off you can take some disposable towels or wipes and clean the clutch diff sludge out of the bottom of the diff. You will be good to go.

Your outer halfshaft boot photo looks like you have a bad bearing on that side. The halfshaft retaining nut most likely came loose and now the bearing is bad and when the bearing goes bad the seal won't keep the grease inside of the bearing and that's what you're seeing. If you post a pic of the inside of your knuckle on that side I can confirm that. If it's all dark and greasy, you need to replace your bearing on that side as well.

That grease spot on the inside of the halfshaft is indicative of a bad seal.

Hope that helps.

:beer:

Thanks for the advice I was just about to go pick up a can of brake clean after work.

I was thinking the bearing might be going bad because I noticed grease on the inside of the knuckle, as you said.

I guess I will have to order a bearing.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Just be patient when removing the stock bushings. Did you rent the tools from FTBR? On the 4 main rubber bushings I drilled several holes all along the outside, this made it easier to get them out. Just make sure you have a good drill and a few wire wheels. There are several FTBR videos that walk you through the whole process. I was very fortunate to have someone near me who has done tons of these and let me help out with the install.

Jkay98

Established Member
Just be patient when removing the stock bushings. Did you rent the tools from FTBR? On the 4 main rubber bushings I drilled several holes all along the outside, this made it easier to get them out. Just make sure you have a good drill and a few wire wheels. There are several FTBR videos that walk you through the whole process. I was very fortunate to have someone near me who has done tons of these and let me help out with the install.

I just got done removing the bushings and it went pretty well, it only took 60-90 minutes. The tool worked out perfectly.
The last subframe bushing fought me a little bit because I must not have drilled my holes straight enough and all the through. I still have to wire wheel the holes which I will do tomorrow.
Now I am just waiting to get some prices back from some powder coating vendors.
I haven't decided yet if i want to drill the grease fitting holes before or after powder coat.
I also plan to grind down the casting seams on the aluminum lower control arms.

Users who are viewing this thread