FTBR 1350M and 5001 combo - Clunk Questions?

BOOOSTD

Mr. Torch Red
Established Member
My buddy and I did his Cobra today which had a pretty good clunk from the rear end as well. We raised his diff as much as we could and no more clunk.

Check your pinion angle guys!!

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
So I got under there again. Found a really embarassing derp. The front diff shims didn't have the same shim count on either aide. I think this ultimately ****ed my pinion bearing and that's what's causing the clunk because the clunk still remains even after fixing it. I'm just going to drive it for a month and trade it in for a C6 vette base or a g37 sport. I'm done with Mustangs...

Dont be a quitter! The fun is just beginning!!

See my reply to your other thread.

cobralvr01

Established Member
Dont be a quitter! The fun is just beginning!!

See my reply to your other thread.

Meh, it's going to happen regardless, just picked up an '08 G37 Sport last Sunday so the Cobra will be leaving the stable.
g37s 1.jpgI'm just wanting to fix this clunking problem so I don't get shafted on the resale. I think right now I have 5 shims on the bottom and 1 on top for both sides. Would raising it 1 more shim really improve the angle that much to get rid of this clunking problem? Unfortunately, I'm pretty skeptical about that at this point.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Meh, it's going to happen regardless, just picked up an '08 G37 Sport last Sunday so the Cobra will be leaving the stable.
View attachment 71239I'm just wanting to fix this clunking problem so I don't get shafted on the resale. I think right now I have 5 shims on the bottom and 1 on top for both sides. Would raising it 1 more shim really improve the angle that much to get rid of this clunking problem? Unfortunately, I'm pretty skeptical about that at this point.

Have 6 shims on the bottoms of mine per side. Just like the picture above and the one below.

front%20diff%20supports%20in%20car%20close-up.jpg

cobralvr01

Established Member
It would make sense though that this is causing it because there's a lot of drivetrain noise at lower speeds and a constant whining at highway speeds. I know that's one of the symptoms of either bad pinion bearings, incorrect backlash, or incorrect pinion angle.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Really liking this thread all sorts of good information! although I am sure it has been discussed many times over, their is always something different that someone catches.

Which leads to how i corrected the clunking popping sound I've been dealing with lately. For the longest time I thought it was a bad u-joint, or lowering spring popping due to the car twisting a little while going up my driveway to avoid scrapping.

I was swapping out my wheels this weekend and putting my CCWs back on that i just got back from the polisher, I noticed that the lower bolt on my rear shock didn't seem screwed in all the way, their was about an 1/8 in. gap between the shock and the control arm, i checked the bolt with an impact wrench and seemed tight, put a wrench and bar on it and i got over 3 full turns on the bolt, now the shock and lower control arm gap is gone, looked at the other side same problem. Corrected it took the car for a ride my popping sound is gone!!

I think a lot of the issues i had with my FTBR kit was due to improper installation. Mine was installed by a local speed shop so i dont know if anything was torqued properly? but I have found some discrepancies such as the shims discussed on here.

(Thanks for the pics that really help clear things up for me)

I got a lot of advice through PMs from ac427cobra and now I am understanding what he was explaining all along.

Now to deal with my Chatty RXT clutch.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
my clunk is the diff cover hitting the subframe :shrug: I'll just ignore it.

Something is installed wrong or loose if your diff cover is hitting the subframe. You are the first person we've heard this complaint from. Do you have an idea of where it's hitting? Pics?

Users who are viewing this thread