FS MRT Springs/ KYB adjustable shocks/ 98 Cobra spindles

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
After a long busy summer, everything is back up for sale...

For sale are a set of MRT springs FRONT ONLY (rears are sold) (650 lb/in front 200-250 lb/in rear) for a solid rear, a pair of KYB AGX adjustable rear shocks SOLD, and a pair of 98 Cobra spindles (no hubs on them). All parts came off a 98 Cobra with about 100k miles. I sold the car last year and these parts are just sitting in my basement.

img0215bh.jpg

img0214me.jpg

img0213mi.jpg

img0210i.jpg

img0228gb.jpg

img0226st.jpg

$100 for the springs
$80 for the shocks
make me an offer on the spindles
buyer pays for shipping

Last edited:

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
-would these work on my 96 cobra?
-how much of a drop in the front and back?
-are the adjustable shocks in good working order/how many more miles do you think they have left?

price on shocks and springs

Yeah these will work on your 96.
Here's a pic of my old 98 when it still had the springs and shocks on it.
mustang015vi0.jpg

I believe that's before I messed with the iso's to get the front down just a tad more. I'm not sure exactly what drop that is but they worked well for my daily driver.

The shocks are still good. I don't know the mileage because they were on the car when I bought it but there's no way it's anywhere close to the 100k that the car had. I'd say they've still got at least 50k left in them.

I can do a package deal for my fellow North Carolinian of $150 plus shipping for both the springs and the shocks. I'm expecting shipping to you to be in the $20 range

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
those look pretty good, and i like the price, i also like an excuse to take a trip to the beach to pick up some parts

my question is, in the picture above, what setting on the shocks is that?

i like my car to have a bit of rake, slightly lower in the front than the back.
i also like to be able to adjust the rear to stock height for when i want to put some slicks on it. can those do that?

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
those look pretty good, and i like the price, i also like an excuse to take a trip to the beach to pick up some parts

my question is, in the picture above, what setting on the shocks is that?

i like my car to have a bit of rake, slightly lower in the front than the back.
i also like to be able to adjust the rear to stock height for when i want to put some slicks on it. can those do that?

Adjustable shocks don't affect the ride height, they only change the firmness of the shock so you can better match it to the springs you are running or track conditions. The only way you would be able to change the ride height with these is to put in or take off the spring isolators. I ran the shocks on 5 most of the time so that's probably where they were in the pic. You can get the raked look by leaving the iso's off of the front or just using one side (the uppers or lowers) and using both upper and lower iso's in the back. That's what I did to my 98. It's really easy to do when swapping out springs.

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
makes sense, i don't know a whole lot about the suspension stuff. do you have any picks of the car with it lower in the front than the back or can you confirm running one or no iso's up front and top and bottom in the back would give me the raked stance?

it just kills me when it looks taller in the front, if anything i would lower just a bit in the front and keep the back rear height

would i have any issue with not running isos up front? if so is there an easy fix?

sorry if i'm asking too many questions, i really am interested i just want to make sure i can get the look i'm going for with them

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
makes sense, i don't know a whole lot about the suspension stuff. do you have any picks of the car with it lower in the front than the back or can you confirm running one or no iso's up front and top and bottom in the back would give me the raked stance?

it just kills me when it looks taller in the front, if anything i would lower just a bit in the front and keep the back rear height

would i have any issue with not running isos up front? if so is there an easy fix?

sorry if i'm asking too many questions, i really am interested i just want to make sure i can get the look i'm going for with them

No problem with the questions, I don't want to sell you something and realize later that it's not what you thought or wanted. I'm here to help.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more pics after taking the iso's out. At least none that I can find right now. The common consensus in the 03/04 Cobra world is that stock iso's can change ride height by ~1/4" and the maximum motorsports iso's (www.maximummotorsports.com) are a bit thicker and can change ride height a bit more. Some say as much as 1/2". It's really just a game of trial and error.

I can say for sure that there are not any problems running without the iso's. All they do is dampen and "isolate" some of the vibrations/noise coming into the cabin. And most people can't tell a difference with or without them. There are thousands of mustang owners out there driving around without one or more iso's installed.

What I would recommend is to use the top and bottom iso's in the rear and try only putting the top iso's on the fronts. If that isn't enough rake, you can take out the top iso and there should definitely be a noticeable difference front to back. If for some reason you can't get it just how you want then I would pick up the Maximum Motorsports iso's and try some combination of those.

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
sounds great, will i be able to buy a different brand front adjustable shock somewhere down the road? does it matter if i mix and match brands in that respect?

they are a good deal and i plan on coming down next weekend or the following if that's not too long, let me know. thanks

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
did you ever scrape any paint off the front of your bumper with this suspension setup due to it being too low?

this is the particular stance i want out of it:
P1000357-1.jpg

a more level stance would work too:
mystic-cobra-number-660-is-now-in-larry-hamlins-hands.jpg

Last edited:

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
sounds great, will i be able to buy a different brand front adjustable shock somewhere down the road? does it matter if i mix and match brands in that respect?

Yeah I mixed and matched shocks and struts a lot. I eventually went with front and rear coilover setups that were different brands too. Having the adjustability really helps in setting them up properly.

they are a good deal and i plan on coming down next weekend or the following if that's not too long, let me know. thanks

Yeah that sounds good. I'll PM you my cell number and you can just give me a call whichever weekend is better for you.

did you ever scrape any paint off the front of your bumper with this suspension setup due to it being too low?

I did a few times but all of those were on a pretty steeply inclined driveway. If your just smart about it and go slow you shouldn't have any issues. The main problem is speed bumps and the underside of the car. I had full length subframe connectors that would scrape if I hit a speed bump to quickly but I really wasn't too worried about how those things looked.

That stance is very doable with these springs. Just mess with the iso's and you should be good.

FirstOnRaceDay.

Established Member
hey i didn't realize at all that the charlotte auto fair is going to be this weekend. i can paypal you a deposite on the parts this friday and pick them up the following weekend if that's okay. sorry for the inconvenience

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
What sort of package deal for a fellow carolinian? haha. Just on the shocks and springs. Shipping shouldnt be very much

CarolinaCobra

Established Member
What sort of package deal for a fellow carolinian? haha. Just on the shocks and springs. Shipping shouldnt be very much

Sorry that it's taken so long to respond, somehow I completely missed that someone posted in this thread. Unfortunately, the shocks are sold and I the rear springs might be too. I'm just waiting on confirmation on those.

So all that's left are the front springs and the spindles. If anyone wants them just send me a pm. I don't seem to be getting subscription updates on this thread for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread