FS: 2004 Mystichrome Cobra Convertible

K.T.

Established Member
Thought my car was sold today but buyer changed his mind. He told me the reason was the Carfax. I finally got a copy of it. More than willing to share it with anybody, not hiding anything. Car is 2004 Mystichrome convertible (#218 of 495 verts). I am 3rd owner and had it from Feb 2012. Car has been in an accident from first owner. Carfax says front end collision and veered off the road. Don't have paperwork from repairs on it but Carfax says totaled-"no", structural damage-"no", airbag deployment-"no". I was told this would mean minor accident/needed tow( flat tire, bumper cover hanging off, fender rubbing, etc.) Ad is under Detroit Craigslist. I will attach link when I get a chance. Car has 36,xxx original miles. Runs/drives great. No rust/ leaks/rips/problems. First person with $21k gets it. Call/text questions to Kevin @ 248-217-984four. Reason for selling is involvement with my twin 8 year olds sports(house baseball/travel baseball/football).

K.T.

Established Member
Not informed about accident. No sign whatsoever of accident. Usually overspray, something doesn't line up right, newer bolts, etc. but I couldn't see anything that looked unusual or out of place. Even after a guy ran Carfax and called me out on it , put it up on hoist at my work after hours and still saw nothing. It leads me to believe the accident was bumper cover, fender or something not too drastic. Didn't realize how Carfax "accident" report scares people so much. It's comical how I received texts from people about them wanting to "help" me by taking car off my hands for $17k. I can respect somebody wanting a deal and negotiating prices( I do it) but insulting somebody's car and two days later throwing more low ball offers is crazy. Had to tell some people that I didn't "feel safe" selling them my car that was in an accident.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Best of luck with the sale. Is there anyway on contacting the original owner to see exactly what happened. Only reason I ask is because, if there is no sign of damage, then it may be a mistake by Carfax. I have heard of it happening before. If its not been in an accident the Carfax comapny can investigate it and remove that from the report.

K.T.

Established Member
Great advise. Never thought of that. Still have his name but when I bought it his wife was 8 months pregnant with fourth kid and they were packing to move in a new house. Will try to contact him, thanks.

DeadStang

Established Member
2,475 miles away...

This is bone stock, correct? Not original tires...? Routine maintenance stuff--do you have records? Battery? Does it have "the tick" from the driver's head area? Any warranty work done?

shauncurt

Established Member
2,475 miles away...

This is bone stock, correct? Not original tires...? Routine maintenance stuff--do you have records? Battery? Does it have "the tick" from the driver's head area? Any warranty work done?

Head tick was corrected in 03 I believe

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Head tick was corrected in 03 I believe

This is incorrect. The info is all out there - but the cliff notes version - there were several revisions to the head design, with the last being only available after production ended ('05 head). Each was an improvement but none are\were perfect and can develop the problem. The best fix is a head cooling mod, but it can't fix a head that already has developed the problem and has one or more bad guides and seats, usually on #7 or #8.

Last edited:

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Didn't you have this advertised on Craigslist twice, the first time showed two body repairs and a saleen wing and the second a stock spoiler and no mention of past body work?

No offense but your ad was shared over Facebook and that was brought to light. That may be a huge reason your original buyer red flagged it. I sure would have. Again no offense, but several of us researched your car when a fellow re-posted it as an amazing deal. If it was a true virgin, it would have been a steal.

It's not that a carfax hit by itself scares people off, but you have one of the worst possible colors for one. Mystichrome is just one that you want a totally clear background on regardless of how quality it's been repaired.

Last edited:

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
Didn't you have this advertised on Craigslist twice, the first time showed two body repairs and a saleen wing and the second a stock spoiler and no mention of past body work?

No offense but your ad was shared over Facebook and that was brought to light. That may be a huge reason your original buyer red flagged it. I sure would have. Again no offense, but several of us researched your car when a fellow re-posted it as an amazing deal. If it was a true virgin, it would have been a steal.

It's not that a carfax hit by itself scares people off, but you have one of the worst possible colors for one. Mystichrome is just one that you want a totally clear background on regardless of how quality it's been repaired.
I thought the same as Matt when I saw car on craigslist. Also virgin car I would be making the trip up this weekend to buy from Ohio.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I found the Facebook post....but the original Craigslist ad has been deleted "by author". I can't figure out how to share the link or I would. It's under "terminator cobras".

Last edited:

K.T.

Established Member
It was posted twice. First time with Saleen trunk/spoiler. I had interest but people were turned off by Saleen spoiler and it seemed that they wanted stock. Today(Friday July 18th) there was a car show in Dearborn,Mi at Ford PDC building(product development center). There was 50th anniversary celebration that featured one car per every year the Mustang was made. I have went to this great car show for the last 5 years. I was invited to put my mystichrome in the 2004 spot by the guy that runs car show( Dave Glickman). He told me last year he wanted it there but...it had to have stock trunk/spoiler on it! I bought trunk/spoiler from a wrecked cobra and had it painted at Ford dealership by my work. In order to install Saleen spoiler on trunk you need to drill holes. I refused to drill holes in stock trunk. That is why it was posted both ways at some point. The last guy that was local gave me copy of Carfax which could be shared with anyone interested. The second accident happened with me owning the car. I was at same car show at Ford PDC last year with my dad. We were in bumper to bumper traffic exiting the show when the guy behind me slipped off clutch and tapped my bumper cover. He told me he would pay for scratch removal and I told him I wanted bumper cover repainted at Ford dealership. He agreed and payed. I have all receipts/paperwork. That paint is not hard to match. In 1996 the mystic cobras were tricky to match, not 2004 mystichrome. I changed ad a few times. Phone number is same but Saleen spoiler changed, one ad expired and I took diffrent pics. I have two phone numbers from guys inquiring from Ohio. Car is stock minus two flowmasters and tailpipes exiting car(flowmaster kit) and I have stock tailpipes and mufflers. I am not a huge computer guy and don't have Facebook account but had wife put it out there for me. My current ad here doesn't have craigslist link and won't until Monday when I have my college summer help do it for me. Car is stock and not beat up, will make somebody very happy. I know some picture swapping and accidents make people nervous but I have had two people show up and drive it and look it over. One is working on price now and other has to sell his ride first. I have heard "waiting on 401k money", "turned down by bank", " bank said car was worth $19k blue book", "pregnant wife said no". Trying to sell but ..... At night there is a clean, stock, head turning mystichrome in the garage paid off. Car show was great today and I got compliment after compliment. Hope this clears up anything that seems shady or wrong about my ad. Any questions call/text me at 248-217-984four, Kevin.

K.T.

Established Member
Also a few posts up... Original battery replaced end of summer last year(same brand/kind, have receipt), tires are not orinal(replaced by owner before me), oil change would be maintenance that I would do but car had oil change when I bought it and I have not put 1500 miles on car since purchased. No other maintenance done if you don't include waxing, cleaning etc. Any other questions text me.

Users who are viewing this thread