Frustrated

mustangcobra93

Established Member
Today I was taking my Crane HI-6 off my car to sell to a friend and decided to remove the aftermarket gauges on my car. I am in the process of returning my car to mostly stock since it's a daily beater now. Well, I removed the Autometer mechanical water temp gauge bulb from the lower intake. I then reinstalled the stock sending unit. Later I started the car just to pull it back in the garage and noticed the car leaking coolant pretty bad. Well, I discovered a crack has formed from the sending unit hole streching downward to the left. There was no visible crack before I took out the autometer bulb and the thing it mounts to. What would have caused this crack? Is there anyway to fix it without having to take the car apart? :nonono:

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
duct tape !! it will fix anything

just kidding run it by a shop that welds aluminum and see if they can do it in the car? but my guess is, they will say pull it.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
It will need to be pulled and cleaned thoroughly to get a good weld that will hold up. The antifreeze contamination will not let the weld penetrate.

If you are going to try and "rig" it for a while..... I would drain the coolant level a little but, clean the area thoroughly, spray it down good with brake clean and then try to use either JB Weld or All Metal repair kit.

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I've decided to just buy another lower. Is a lower intake from a '94/'95 cobra the exact same as ours? Also is an explorer lower the same thing too? I just want to make sure I don't need a certain one.

buddha93

Established Member
Go get a bottle of Bar's Leak. That shit will fix some pretty large leaks....it's surprising. That will get you buy until you get it fixed.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The 94/95 lower intake will work... I think it has a different part # though, if you are concerned with originality.

The explorer intake will work with some modifications. You will have to drill a hole for ACT sensor. You will also loose the EGR function unless you drill some EGR passages into the intake.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
for some reason , some of the explorer lowers already have the egr passage hole .

Users who are viewing this thread