Fruit flys HELP

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Ok so Ive been having a little bit of a problem with fruit flys and I CANT get rid of them!!!

Theres no food left lying around, no dirty plates in the sink, no rotten fruit. I have no idea where they are comming from! Its getting pretty annoying cause when I have my morning glass of OJ it seems like the minute I set it down theres 10 fruit flys buzz around it :fm:

From what I understand these flys have a life span of like 2 days! So they've got to be comming from somewhere.

Ive done the glass of wine trick, where you put a small amount of wine in a necked glass bottle such as a beer bottle. The flys get into the bottle get drunk and can't find a way back out and drown. Ive got about 100 dead flys in there but they still keep comming.

Any suggestions? :shrug:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
They may not be fruit flies. You may actually have an underground sewage problem. Do you live on a slab? Check very closely around the base boards of your home if you do, or the exterior walls of your basement.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
We had big prob with these last year @ work. Those hanging fly traps worked wonders!!!!

LOLasaurus

Established Member
We had big prob with these last year @ work. Those hanging fly traps worked wonders!!!!

The traps with that super sticky stuff?

Ive got 2 of those hanging but they seem to just buzz around it then fly away. Ive had em up for about 4 days and caught maybe 10 flys :??:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Apartment :shrug:

I oversee several apartment communities for a living and have come across this issue before. This is why I am suggesting, and believe you may actually be seeing sewer knats. They are very similiar to Fruit Flies. Talk to your Management Company asap!

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
They may not be fruit flies. You may actually have an underground sewage problem. Do you live on a slab? Check very closely around the base boards of your home if you do, or the exterior walls of your basement.

That is what I thought. They might be sewer flies. They are small, dark, and have short stubby wings.

sewer_fly.jpg

ssssnake

Established Member
Or, they might be gnats. Our office was full of them. The people that come out and water our plants said that sometimes overwatering the plants will cause it. They gave us little sticky squares to place in our potted plants. They have dwindled down in the past week.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
That is what I thought. They might be sewer flies. They are small, dark, and have short stubby wings.

sewer_fly.jpg

We call these shit flies LOL! They are different from what I am suggesting and are very different from a Fruit Fly. These are dark black and do not fly very much. They tend to just sit on the wall and not move around very much. They appear like a small black triangle on the wall. When you have these you generally have a really big issue.

convert03cobra

Established Member
I had my shitter out for a like a month when I was redoing the basement bathroom and I got those shit flies. The luxories of having private sewage. I love when they come out once a year and pump the shit holding tanks out. Smells like a 50 iraqies all shitting at once in my back yard.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I had my shitter out for a like a month when I was redoing the basement bathroom and I got those shit flies. The luxories of having private sewage. I love when they come out once a year and pump the shit holding tanks out. Smells like a 50 iraqies all shitting at once in my back yard.

This was because your Trap dried up. When a toilet drain is opened up for a while the water sealing the trap will dry up. Basically an open hole to your sewage pipes. All you had to do was pour a gallon of water down the drain to seal it and you would have been good to go. Same goes for any drain, especially floor drains.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
The traps with that super sticky stuff?

Ive got 2 of those hanging but they seem to just buzz around it then fly away. Ive had em up for about 4 days and caught maybe 10 fly's :??:

That's the ones! I don't know man. Worked for us....you must have like some super smart fruit flys that won't fall for it! haha

Users who are viewing this thread