FRPP shorty headers question

oxw01svt

Established Member
i was told by my shop that i have FRPP shorty headers. i currently have a 3 inch X mid pipe with cats i dont know what company it is. what off road h-pipe will work with my system if i wanna try and keep it 3 inch? and how hard is it to install a mid pipe? thanks guys

01vert

Established Member
Shortys work the same as manifolds, any mid will work. Mids are relatively easy as long as you have stands and ramps, long extensions etc.

Why would you want to change to a catless mid? Decent catted mid should be within a couple HP of your catted at stock hp levels. You would also need mil eliminators or a tune with the catless mid.

oxw01svt

Established Member
i wanted it louder basically. if its gonna take away horse power and need a tune then im def not doing it. i just figured it was like 180 for a catless midpipe and i'd just swap out the catted for the off road and put the elimintators in and be done till inspection when i would put the catted back. down the road im going solid axel and doing the whole exhuast anyway so ill just wait till then. thanks for the reply

Shinigami

Established Member
i was looking at a book about building 4.6 and 5.4L fords..it had a lot of dyno tests in it, and the FRPP headers are WORTHLESS, it had a lik3 5 tq gain for 500 rpm aorund 3500-4k...the rest of the time it was the same as stock, the HP line was identical.

01vert

Established Member
I dont see the catless taking away HP, just not adding any decent hp on a stocker that already has high flow cats. For loudness you could always look for straight through muffs that would swap into your catback and go from there. Mils seem to be hit or miss with some, some have had to get a tune for the CEL light.

As to the shorties,Yep, but his already has them so no foul there. They are recognized as the same as manifolds hp wise on 4v's.

Users who are viewing this thread