FRPP Recaros in 2008

Sinovac

Established Member
Has anyone installed the FRPP Recaros in a 2007-2010 GT500 without taking apart the seats to get the airbag to work? I have seen the threads involving swapping the power Recaros and it seems the swap it fairly involved. Are the manual FRPP seats easier to swap?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Has anyone installed the FRPP Recaros in a 2007-2010 GT500 without taking apart the seats to get the airbag to work? I have seen the threads involving swapping the power Recaros and it seems the swap it fairly involved. Are the manual FRPP seats easier to swap?

There's an air bladder on the passenger seat that has to be swapped over. The rest should be easy.

This member has swapped quite a few pairs: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ower-2012-recaros-my-07-bunch-other-mods.html

Sinovac

Established Member
Thanks. I saw that thread. It seems he swapped his bases because the seats are power. I'll send him a PM and see what info he can provide.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I've had this same question and haven't gotten an answer yet. I pmd the same fellow. Maybe he'll post some details.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
It's a pretty easy swap. Mostly taking wiring harness off old seats and there is a sensor on the seat that has to get swapped on passenger seat.

I didn't know about it and kept throwing air bag light trouble. Once I got it swapped over all has been good.

I did 2012 GT500 recaros not the ford racing so not sure if those seats are more universal.

BilletProShop

Established Member
The swap is fairly easy, i took the bottoms apart mostly to transfer the power bases (did both power seats in my car and for that had to supply power for the passenger seat)
mind you ,to transfer the bladder sensor in the passenger seat, you will need to
remove the bottom seat cover, other than that there is no issues

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I found the following text that was originally intended for those seeking to install non-airbag seats into a Mustang that has side airbags. It also explains what the sensors are for...

When replacing the seats the following components in the system need to be adapted.

1. Side air bags. OTC tools makes a test plug for in the harness that will take the side bag out of the system. You can find them on eBay for about 20 bucks each. Part number is 418-133 you will need one for each seat.

2. Passenger seat OCS. There is a sensor in the passenger seat cushion. It can removed from your seat and adapted into the after market seat.

3. Drivers seat position sensor. This is actually on the seat track and is used to determin air bag force in relation to the drivers position to the steering wheel.

4. Factory set belts need be used because the seat belt pre-tensioners are part of the RCM system.

5. Power seat controls have to taken into consideration also.

You can buy a RCM module from a car that wasn't equipted with seat side bags and that will eliminate the need for the seat air bag plugs but the RCM will have to be programmed for your car by a Ford dealer tech.

All this can be done and still have functioning front air bags but it is a lot of work. If your really interested in doing it right plan on it being a big PITA. I did it so I know it can be done.

The OTC airbag simulators that are mentioned above...

418-133.gif

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Nice.

Sounds like it's a no-problem situation; just have to tear the seats out and take a look at everything.

pony23

Established Member
It's not too bad at all to do hog rings. There are only a few in the middle of the seat. The rest is plastic clips. Also put the covers in the dryer. The heat makes it easier to stretch the leather.
You can get the rings and pliers from must ha unlimited pretty cheap

Sinovac

Established Member
Really good information in this thread. Thanks everyone. It seems the only issue in installing the manual FRPP seats in a pre-2011 GT500 is the passenger occupant sensor (this is the "bladder" described above-this turns the passenger airbag off if not enough weight is detected-this protects small children and children in car seats).

Can the passenger occupant sensor be disabled so the passenger airbag is on all the time? This would make the installation of the FRPP seats very easy since there would be no need to remove the seat covers. My kids are past that age and I would never put a car seat in the front passenger seat anyway.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
This is from the '11 manual (standard seats) but should provide some relevant detail to all...

Driver side
seats.jpg

seats3.jpg

Passenger side
seats1.jpg

seats4.jpg

Restraint Control Module location
seats2.jpg

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
I just did another set of the MB part number(MC is discontinued).No hog rings anywhere on the Recaros.Also swapping the seat covers/foam,there is a metal tube/plate on the seat part for the thigh bolsters.I used a die grinder,cut the welds and welded them on the bases of my seat.Without them,the covers are wrinkled and not supported correctly.Also main plug on the bottom is different.Just use your seat bottoms frame.Not real hard but pretty involved.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Can you comment on how you released all the tabs on the levers, power seat buttons , and on the plastic harness bezels as well? By looking at your eBay photos it looks as if the bezels were attached to the fabric in some way.

I was directed to leave the bezels in place when switching skins as the new ones will supposedly stretch over the bezels. Is that how you did it? Any photos?

shelby2

Established Member
Been looking into this issue for a couple of months, lots and lots of research. Bottom line there is no plug and play for our years. Even if you buy the resister plugs the pass. air bladder must come out and be installed in the recaro passenger seat. Or the Christmas lights in the dash will come on. No easy way of doing it. So if you have to take pass seat apart u mines well take the power seat base of stock and put on the recaro. The trick is how to get the seats apart with no damage. I think that's what Tob is working on as we speak. I'm also working on that problem as well.

:read:

Users who are viewing this thread