frpp or jba shorties

warren

Established Member
can anyone tell me the difference in the jba shorties and the
frpp shorties?
like fitment, horsepower gainsetc. also theres a big price difference between the 2 and im not sure which one is better. the jba shorties are a;lot more in price but is the frpp the same in quality and performance wise. any input would be greatly appreciated . thanks guys!!:rolling:

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
I would go with the frpp's if I had the choice. They may even be more warranty friendly because they say ford. I am sure they make close to equal power too. But why not go with longtubes?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Much of the difference in price can be attributed to JBA attempting to recover R&D and marketing costs ASAP. In this respect, Ford Racing does not bear as heavy a burden. As long as Stage 8 bolts are used, fitment should not be an issue with either. My servicing dealer has been very receptive towards the FRPPs...

Rwick7

Established Member
I wouldn't bother with either...the gains are not worth it unless you go long tubes IMHO

warren

Established Member
thanks guys, i will go with the frpp's. the long tubes are a little too loud for me, i like listening to the raidio and hearing myself think on long cruises!! guesse im becomeing an old fart!!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
ox,

Did you change the headers by themselves or with other mods at the same time? How was the difference felt?

BTW: Checking out my growing "list" in my sig :nonono:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Did you change the headers by themselves or with other mods at the same time?

By themselves. I should have swapped in an MM K-member at the same time...

> How was the difference felt?

Felt as if I had lost a bit of boost. Probably the drop in manifold pressure...

> Parts replaced by dealer to date...

Which dealership? Galpin...?

Ron Short

Established Member
I'd do FRPP's if you're going to do shorties simply from a cost standpoint. Neither will net more than 5-6 rwhp tops, plus FRPP just changed all of their 4.6 headers and they're a little nicer. But my advice is and always will be, if you're going to do headers, do longtubes so it's worthwhile! They're not really any louder than shorters either. All that depends on the mid-pipe and catback. You will hear slightly more valve exit noise with both, but it's just a little more with longtubes. Not enough to base a decision on. Seriously, do the longtubes or you might regret a month later.

~Ron

Silver 03 Cobra

You better do some research before you buy a set of FRPP headers. Go over to Corral.net and ask the same question. You will be making a big mistake on the FRPP's. JBA's are a lot better quality and they are dyno proven to get well over 9 rwhp on NA cars. I have heard of weld problems on the FRPP headers and most report 2 rwhp gains.

Don't believe the statement that the JBA's aren't worth it compared to long tubes either. I dyno 480 rwhp SAE and 480 rwt with a 2.80 pulley and JBA 1 5/8 headers with the stock MAF and TB. That's right in line with LT's. I picked up a peak 16 rwhp alone by just going with the headers and I had net gains of 40 rwhp from 3000 rpm up to 4800 rpm. Spend the extra money. Do some research on other boards with people tghat have real experience with both.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
You better do some research before you buy a set of FRPP headers. Go over to Corral.net and ask the same question. You will be making a big mistake on the FRPP's. JBA's are a lot better quality and they are dyno proven to get well over 9 rwhp on NA cars. I have heard of weld problems on the FRPP headers and most report 2 rwhp gains.

Don't believe the statement that the JBA's aren't worth it compared to long tubes either. I dyno 480 rwhp SAE and 480 rwt with a 2.80 pulley and JBA 1 5/8 headers with the stock MAF and TB. That's right in line with LT's. I picked up a peak 16 rwhp alone by just going with the headers and I had net gains of 40 rwhp from 3000 rpm up to 4800 rpm. Spend the extra money. Do some research on other boards with people tghat have real experience with both.

Silver, what kind of price for JBA's and ease of install over LT's?

Silver 03 Cobra

03snake, you can go to their website and search for dealers. The best price I found was Rowell's in NC. I ended up buying mine off BON from a person that had bought a set though a group purchase and ended up not installing them. I think the website is www.jbaheaders.com

I have installed BBK LT's on my buddies 03 and an 01 Cobra I owned and I installed the JBA's on my 03. I dropped the k-member on all three. To me, it's not worth the aggravation working around the k-member. With the k-member off, there is not hardly a bolt/nut that is hard to get to and you don't have to remove the starter motor. You can take the stock manifolds off in 15 minutes. It also makes reinstalling the dipstick tube easy.

I work off the ground. I put a floor jack under a spring seat on each side. There are only 8 bolts that have to be removed. Mark the k-member to the frame on each side so you can center it back up and square it up before you drop it. You can leave the power steering lines connected. Lower it slowly and evenly and then roll it forward just enough you can slide up under the engine. You will have to support the engine with a hoist before you drop the k-member. I can do an install in a little over eight hours. It's not that bad.

sqidd

Established Member
Silver03snake

Do you have dyno graphs of your shorty runs. How bout a mod list? I have been interested in shorties (no jokes) for some time. I am interested in some hard facts. I am looking for 500rwhp with a 2.93, big K&N, Throttle body, elbow, shorties, X pipe, cat back. I have everything but the shorties and x pipe. What X pipe do you have?

thanks

Jason

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
Long Tubes = Ground Scrapers

I've had my exhaust done for 3 F*cking days and I've hit the long tubes geting on my buddies lift, the damn fill lid on the ground at the gas station, and I even couldn't go through a drive throu car wash because as I slowly pulled up I felt something catch. I have my buddy hop out and look........ what do you know it's the header again.

My car is at stock ride height, and I guess I must not be used to how I'm "saposta" drive cause I seem to be scraping the exhaust on everything.

Really not a fun deal. I'm starting to get very pissed.

Funny thing is that when I called tismorning to tell them I had a leak they already knew I had hit the lift........ wow talk about quick website reading up early monday morning.

Waiting now to see if they have time to fix it.

Silver 03 Cobra

squid, I think I have some on Yahoo. I have been having problems with the pic's showing up. I can email you some. I didn't do a stock baseline dyno. I dynoed with a catted Basanni x/pipe and catback with a stock size K&N air filter in the stock air box. I made 395 rwhp SAE and 374 rwt. My car has always been a little low on torque. With the addition of the JBA's I made 411 rwhp and 381 rwt on the same dyno. I was little disapponited with the peak gains. I was expecting 30-40 rwhp. The dyno owner took my runs and put them on the saem sheet and I had gains of close to 40 rwhp and torque down low where you really want it. I was smiling then. I added JDM's cool air kit later and picked up 10 more rwhp. I also dynoed with 4.10 gears and it is said these gears will pull 5-10 rwhp off a Dynojet. This is why I think the JBA's are at least a good header to go with as far as shorties. That should put me close to 425-430 rwhp with the JBA's. Not too bad and emissions legal.

I've since added a few mods including the o/r x-pipe that is Bassani also. My car sounds a lot like the owner that posted the vid of the yellow 03 against the SS only maybe a little louder. He also had a Bassani. It sounds mean.

I'll look and see if I can find some dyno pic's to email you here at work. The problem I'll have is trying to link a pic with the email service on this site. There is no option to do it. If I had your actual email address i could do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Short

Established Member
FRPP's previous offering did have weld issues from time to time, but the new supplier is supposed to be a better product. And for a few more real experience dyno numbers from JBA's, 99 Cobras (n/a) got 6 rwhp and 5 rwhp. 01 GT's usually fall around 4-6 rwhp. Blown 99+ GT's a couple more. 98 n/a Cobra got 6 also. From previous FRPP installs, they also usually fall around the same 4-7 rwhp. I've also seen guys get only 1-2 rwhp after installing either brand on other 4.6's. JBA's are a high quality product for sure, but worth more than the cost of BBK longtubes?? I just can't see it. I also can't see going through the motions of installing headers unless it's going to do the most for you. Spending $500-550 for headers, plus another $400-500 for installation to get 4-7 rwhp doesn't make much sense to me, but that's just me. I have my views as does everyone else and I think shorties are a waste of time.

Silver 03 Cobra

Headers and intake mods will get more out of blown engines than NA engines. Just look at how many people are gaining 10-15 rwhp on 03 Cobras with just the addition of a 9 inch conical air filter. A blown engine needs to breathe while a near stock NA motor can get all the air it needs through the stock manifolds and intake. The exhaust manifolds on the 03 are identical to the 01 manifolds with the exception of the passenger side flange gasket seat. Anyone can see how the car will breathe better even through JBA's. Mine is 16 rwhp dyno proven. Check my link above and look for the 8-04 dyno sheet. There's more to gain than just peak. I gained a net 40 rwhp from 3000-4500 rpm over my previous exhaust. And that is where you need it most. My installation charge was on the house :) .

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Silver03Snake, I have seen photos posted that show the '03 exhaust manifold having bigger ports compared to the older ones. Was that incorrect? I have also seen posted info that does show 16 hp gains from the JBAs (maybe it was yours)?

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
The FRPP headers are better. They have a flat flange that allows the use of the stock
Ford gaskets, which work really well. The design of the JBAs, with their "sealing rings" around the ports, makes you use crummy paper gaskets that
will fail.

-norcal_cobra

Users who are viewing this thread