FRPP K springs installed.

SicShelby09

Banned
Here are my impressions.

The drop is just sick! Its flat as a board. Nice drop too, more than the 1.5" they advertise. Now I just need some wheel spacers to get these little GT/CS wheels out to match the fender.

The ride is totally awesome. I had the eibach pros on my 09 shelby, and they were harsh as can be. They took a car that rode like a caddy, and turned it into a very stiff and unforgiving rattle monster. I had to avoid all bumps like the car was going to come apart if I hit them. Never again will I get the eibachs for these cars. But now the FRPP K springs seem to be what I was looking for. They are not harsh at all. They took the boat feeling out of the ride, and made it into a very firm sports car. It feels like my stock C6 corvette felt like when it was new. No jolts over bumps and very little bouncing like other springs give you. And now the car bearly brake dives, and handles very flat around corners. It was a mod that I would do again in a heart beat. $170 well spent. And since I did the install on my car myself, it was a great deal. And easy to do. Pics coming soon.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Hurry and get pics up :beer:

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
is an alignment needed? i want to go with springs after i install the 3.90's... im sure ill need LCA and a panhard... but im torn between these and BMR's

SicShelby09

Banned
It will probably need a little tweaking of the alignment, but it drives straight. I'm going with new wheels and tires, so Im going to wait and align it when those go on. Also Im going to do the UCA, LCAs and the panhard bar, so that will center the axle and stop the hop. I dont get much hop in this car compared to my old GT500, but its still there slightly. This was a great mod for this car, its no longer the boat it felt like. It feels much more stable and nimble than my brembo GT did. Night and day.

ViciousJay

Established Member
It will probably need a little tweaking of the alignment, but it drives straight. I'm going with new wheels and tires, so Im going to wait and align it when those go on. Also Im going to do the UCA, LCAs and the panhard bar, so that will center the axle and stop the hop. I dont get much hop in this car compared to my old GT500, but its still there slightly. This was a great mod for this car, its no longer the boat it felt like. It feels much more stable and nimble than my brembo GT did. Night and day.

hmmm nice... looks like this is the route im headed. Which wheels are you going with? i sent my brembos off to be powder coated, i got tire of the rattle can look and 85 per wheel with dismount and remounting the wheel is a steal escp for a 19" wheel

SicShelby09

Banned
Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Looks great. The install on the rears is pretty easy if I remember on the S197 cars, but you are saying the fronts were relatively easy as well?

SicShelby09

Banned
Looks great. The install on the rears is pretty easy if I remember on the S197 cars, but you are saying the fronts were relatively easy as well?

Yeah. Total it took maybe 2 hours, and that was literally taking my sweet little time so I didnt mess anything up. I did them before with a friend on my old shelby GT500, and the install was the same. The fronts you do one at a time, and the rears can be done at the same time. But, word to the wise, air tools are almost a must to get this done easily. Otherwise, there are some pretty big and long bolts that would take forever to hand crank off. The air tools allow you to buzz off those hard lower strut bolts to the spindle and the actual spring retainer bolts on the struts with ease. Here is a great write up.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Ford Racing Lowering Springs Install - LRS Blog - Read Here Shop Here

Oh and I went and rented a spring compressor tool kit from vatozone, and that was another must. Also works well with the air tools.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yeah. Total it took maybe 2 hours, and that was literally taking my sweet little time so I didnt mess anything up. I did them before with a friend on my old shelby GT500, and the install was the same. The fronts you do one at a time, and the rears can be done at the same time. But, word to the wise, air tools are almost a must to get this done easily. Otherwise, there are some pretty big and long bolts that would take forever to hand crank off. The air tools allow you to buzz off those hard lower strut bolts to the spindle and the actual spring retainer bolts on the struts with ease. Here is a great write up.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Ford Racing Lowering Springs Install - LRS Blog - Read Here Shop Here

Oh and I went and rented a spring compressor tool kit from autozone, and that was another must. Also works well with the air tools.

no need for this... ;-)

ViciousJay

Established Member
It can be done without it, but its scary shit man. Those stock springs are half the size when mounted on the strut as they are at full relaxed length. I looked at them and decided not to take the chance.

i swapped springs on a many lightnings... no issues

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Always loved the drop from those springs. Interesting that you say the ride is great, cause most guys here who run them say they were getting tossed around a lot on the stock shocks and struts.
Are you running stock components, or have you gone aftermarket for those pieces?

SicShelby09

Banned
Always loved the drop from those springs. Interesting that you say the ride is great, cause most guys here who run them say they were getting tossed around a lot on the stock shocks and struts.
Are you running stock components, or have you gone aftermarket for those pieces?

Everything else stock. Rides firm like stock, not harsh and stays flat in corners and during braking.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
I have the k springs also with ford racing dampeners and shocks. It is definitely stiff and probably over dampened for daily driving but I also like it. Just watch out for those big bumps and un even railroad tracks.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i swapped springs on a many lightnings... no issues
While I get your point on not using a spring compressor, and didn't use one myself either for lowering, I don't think you should knock someone for leaning towards the side of caution when working on a car...especially springs. He's definitely right when he said the stock front springs are compressed to like half their length even with the strut fully extented...

ViciousJay

Established Member
While I get your point on not using a spring compressor, and didn't use one myself either for lowering, I don't think you should knock someone for leaning towards the side of caution when working on a car...especially springs. He's definitely right when he said the stock front springs are compressed to like half their length even with the strut fully extented...

im not that what i put a smiley in the message, is aunt flow on the way big guy?:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread