FRPP/Boss 302 Laguna Seca 'X' Brace #M-6346612-A

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It's in (my shop, that is). It's what many have been waiting for since the first time they saw it...

2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca-cross-car-x-brace-photo-361577-s-1280x782.jpg

boss12_l02.jpg

This writeup will be broken up into two sections. First - the parts themselves, followed by a narrative on what it'll take to get it to fit a 2009 GT500. Let us begin...

I love hardware. Doesn't matter what its used for as long as it is well engineered. The kind that feels good in your hand. Substantial. But in this case, removing the rear seats, seat belts, seat brackets and fasteners, all in an attempt to trim fat while adding some strength. Torsional rigidity. In place of the original equipment will go flyweight panels disguised as upholstery, along with a unique welded tubular assembly designed to make an already stiff body structure even more so.

Problem to date has been piecing the kit together through the Ford Parts network was prohibitively expensive. Enter FRPP. How they convinced the Parts people to allow them to carry these OEM pieces at a price far below what the network has been asking - I don't know. But a big thanks to those that negotiated this one. Hopefully, OEM leather Recaros and the CF driveshaft kits are in the pipeline as well. But I digress...

On to the box that this part is shipped in, the one that held up our orders.:p
Everything is packaged neatly in a rather large box. It has to be shipped freight even though it really isn't that heavy. The invoice I have from Con-way says 50lbs. I would have guessed less than that.

IMG_9680.jpg

If you have to pick it up from the freight company like I did (I apparently missed the first delivery attempt) you better bring a truck or full size van. The box had to be large enough for the panel that takes place of the seats, thus the 14/12 pitched 'roof' box. Mine was open when I picked it up. Either it opened on its own or somebody took a peek to see what was inside...

IMG_9682.jpg

IMG_9685.jpg

IMG_9687.jpg

IMG_9688.jpg

The X brace came neatly packaged with an eye towards protecting it from shipping damage.

IMG_9691.jpg

More on this coup de gras in a moment. So how about the panel that will reside behind the X brace?

IMG_9697.jpg

The label affixed to its backside...

IMG_9698.jpg

The rather large panel will take the place of the seat bottoms as well as a portion of real estate formerly earmarked for the seat backs...

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9695.jpg

I had wondered what these panels were made of. How fragile they might be. Well, I'll have to do some digging to determine just what comprises these two panels as I haven't seen this type of construction from Ford before. The panels are very light (weights to come), allow some flexibility, and don't appear to be overly brittle and thus crack-prone (fingers are crossed here).

IMG_9696.jpg

I hope they prove to be at least durable enough to allow me to climb into the back to occasionally clean the inside of the rear windows.

Also included in the large box was a bag full of fastener hardware.

IMG_9699.jpg

IMG_9712.jpg

Also included was an instruction booklet, made up of the same pages that are in the FRPP pdf available online.

IMG_9701.jpg

Back to the centerpiece, the X. Wouldn't be the year 2012 if there wasn't a disclaimer plastered somewhere, now would it?

IMG_9708.jpg

The finish on this piece is absolutely first rate (and I mean that!). The lighting in my shop is somewhat lacking so I took a couple of shots of the front face, the second being with the flash on.

IMG_9704.jpg

IMG_9705.jpg

Interesting that in photos the brace appears orange. When I first opened the package I noted that it is more red in the flesh. Yet it looks orange in my photos as well as most any other you'll find on the web or in print. This, I can say with confidence - the paint is without flaw.

Here's the backside of the tube assembly where the tubes 'cross'...

IMG_9703.jpg

IMG_9702.jpg

I like the MUSTANG script more in person as well. Kind of neat effect.

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

And there you have what comprises FRPP's latest kit. Pricey, but I'll withold further valuation until everything is in place. My apologies, as it might be a bit until I can initiate the install phase of this writeup.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
Very sexy piece Tob and going to set your car apart for sure, but bend over and bring out the Vasaline on the price.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
In for updates of your usually well documented threads. Are you going to use the brace painted red or are you going to paint it a different color ala matching the stripes on a LS?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Are you going to use the brace painted red or are you going to paint it a different color ala matching the stripes on a LS?

I think I proposed elsewhere that I'd be switching to Vista Blue. To be honest, now I'm not so sure. I may try the red/orange hue and see how well it goes with the charcoal and blue. The IN YOUR FACE contrast that the LS so embraces wasn't in my original plans and still isn't. I'll try playing with the color sliders in Photoshop and see what I like best...

pony23

Established Member
Been a little while since we had a good Tob write up. Like this project and I am gonna follow it. Another great mod choice brotha!!!!

Would like to see Shelby or GT500 in the x brace piece.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I think I proposed elsewhere that I'd be switching to Vista Blue. To be honest, now I'm not so sure. I may try the red/orange hue and see how well it goes with the charcoal and blue. The IN YOUR FACE contrast that the LS so embraces wasn't in my original plans and still isn't. I'll try playing with the color sliders in Photoshop and see what I like best...
I'll most likely paint mine white in sticking with my LF theme but KB is my second choice. As much as I enjoy your threads I'm hoping this bolts right in for you. :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'd be tempted to paint mine Tungsten, but if I switch to red calipers it might go nicely.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I did the install today. I'm here to announce that the kit was a 100% direct fit in my 2009 GT500. That means it should fit '07 models to current. Every hole present in the Boss or Boss Laguna Seca models that allows fitment of this kit is present in the earlier cars. Dimensionally, the panels FRPP supplies in the kit match those of the seats that were removed.

FRPP should revise the listing in their online catalog to be more accurate...

FRPPAdShouldSaycopy.jpg

Or something like that.:)

So let's start with the fat removal. Out with the rear seat sections and hardware and onto my WalMart middle shelf, eight year old, non-certified, scale.

IMG_9715copy.jpg

IMG_9722copy.jpg

IMG_9752copy.jpg

Total of 37.8 lbs of weight pulled out. As to what took its place...

IMG_9744copy.jpg

_IMG_9705copy.jpg

Guess what? I forgot to weigh the most important piece, the X brace! Cruzing2much, throw yours on the scale if you can. Until then, I'll take a WAG and say it weighs about 20 lbs (SEE BELOW)

UPDATE (10/12/12) - cruzing2much sent me a pm regarding the weight of the brace. He stated he used a known accurate scale and came up with only 6.6 lbs. I was waay off with my estimate. Thus, the total weight of the FRPP kit would be at only 15.4 lbs. That would put the weight savings at 22.4 lbs. Much better.:)

Here's the car after removing the seats, seat backs, seat belts, quarter panel trim pieces, window trim pieces, parcel shelf, and all related hardware...

IMG_9738.jpg

I used the included hardware (essentially just the same items you removed but new) to install the first two items. The X brace fit perfectly as well as the form fitted panel that resides behind it.

IMG_9745.jpg

The included instructions then direct you to do the following...

FoamBlockLocation.jpg

Is that 9" from center of hole to center of foam block? To the edge? And 3.5" to 4" from the front edge? Looking at the photo I'd have that they meant side edge. FRPP - this needs to be revised. I took the easy way out, and tried to match the instruction photo angle and as such place the block in the same spot. Compare this shot to the one in the instructions up above...

IMG_9747.jpg

There is a flat in the sheetmetal that Ford wants this block to sit upon. To make it easier, you can test fit the large lower trim panel and slip your hand under it to see where the block needs to be. If you are careful, you can do the peel-n-stick at this point and then pull the panel back out. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to this step.

Note that FRPP asks you to install the large lower panel at this time (after you slip in the parcel shelf). This is wrong and the instructions need to be redone. If you fit the lower panel in and install the push pins, you cannot fit the interior quarter side trim in place - not even close.

Trust me, install the parcel shelf, then quarter and side window trim (seat belt hardware and coat hook too).

IMG_9748.jpg

Only now can you slip in the large panel that covers what remains. There are a couple of different ways to get it to fit in the car. Just be careful to not knock the foam blocks off that you attached to the panel earlier. The panel fit like a glove and the holes for the new locking push pins were right where they are supposed to be.

IMG_9757.jpg

View from the trunk...

IMG_9753.jpg

It had been pouring out while I was doing the install but it stopped and the sun came out. So I backed out of my shop and took a couple more shots...

IMG_9765.jpg

IMG_9770.jpg

IMG_9771.jpg

And there you have it.

I may change the color. Nice to know that all I have to do is to remove some push pins and then simply unbolt it. The most time consuming portion of this install doesn't have to be redone - removing the five interior panels in order to take out the existing seat belt reels. We'll see.

My concerns regarding strength proved to be unfounded. These panels are extremely strong. They easily supported my body weight during the install (I'm 6' and about 215 lbs).

Regarding color - the kit is not a perfect match (nor does it appear to be in the LS either). It is close, but slightly lighter in color. You could always dye the material a darker shade if it concerns you.

I suspect there will be an NVH increase simply because the insulation qualities that the seats provided before is now gone. I'll report on this when I've spent some time driving the damn thing as opposed to always working on it.;)

This one was rather enjoyable for the most part because it fits so well. I was prepared to 'make it work' but that wasn't the case. The quality of the brace, panels, an new hardware was absolutely first rate. Was it worth just under $1,000 (what I paid)? Yes it was. I'll never have to give more than one person a ride, lost a few pounds somewhere, and added a surprising amount of strength to the structure. Plus - if you like to be deviate from the normal mod path (and I do), this one fits the bill.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It looks terrific. Now what color are you going to paint it?

Looks like the only factory alternative when it comes to color is the silver bar on the '13 LS, except FRPP isn't offering it. ON EDIT - THEY DO NOW!

2013-ford-mustang-boss-302-laguna-seca.jpg

If/when I paint it, I'll probably play it safe and paint it Vista Blue.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Silly question perhaps but I'm curious: What sort of smell, if any, does the interior of the car have that is different or more noticeable following the install?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I really like it. But I know with that price tag the wife won't be allowing that part coming my way any time soon.

Nice write up as always Tob

shelbysvt

Established Member
Would we be able to get that paint code for the silver on the 13? I may perfer that when I order this since idk if I'm going to change my stripes or interior to red or not yet.

Users who are viewing this thread