FRPP Alum. DS Junk!

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
Well, i had one of these on my car and with my new combo including 4.30s and poly mounts in the rear end this thing vibrated like crazy. So i took it into a driveline shop and sure enough it was way off. Aparently both of the ends were off center and had some huge weights to try and correct the problem (which failed to do so). Anyway, be forwarned if you buy one of these recycled pop cans that they may or may not come balanced properly.

montanagrog

Established Member
I have had 3 and no problems with any of them. They were all produced approx. 4 years ago. Maybe the Chinese aren't doing as good of job as the USA boys were.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i bet you wouldn't love it after you determined the runout on one of them sumbitches

72 fastback

Established Member
recycled pop cans:lol: l i think mine said sprite, try to get a mt. dew next time.for real man that sucks.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
mdoan said:
That sucks man, any way to get a quality one nowadays or are they all crap?

I'm wondering the same thing. I know cf is available, but who makes an alum ds, other than Ford?

68Stang

I got your Zoom Zoom
Established Member
It would be scary to have a carbon fiber driveshaft. Ever see the carbon fiber forks on a bicycle give out? They shatter with virtually no warning = face plant into rocks.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Hmmm...never had a problem with mine. My OEM DS went bad and i replaced it with the FRPP unit. It solved the problem and i've had no problems whatsoever with it.

As far as problems, today the damn drive belt went out and now i gotta find one that bypasses the smog pump with everything else on. What a wonderful Saturday i have to look forward to. :bash:

Quadcammer

Established Member
folks, when you say you had no problems, that does not mean the shaft is good.

If the run out is out, the drivetrain will feel the vibration, even if you don't.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
quadcammer said:
folks, when you say you had no problems, that does not mean the shaft is good.

If the run out is out, the drivetrain will feel the vibration, even if you don't.

So should all the FRPP aluminum D/S users take it to a drive line shop and have it rebalanced? My D/L vibrates a tad.... But thats because my motor mounts are shot. Could be D/S but you never know.

Quadcammer

Established Member
My ds shop would not even shorten the thing it was out so far. Im talking like .08 out of round.

My new custom one is perfect. The weight is about an 8th of the size.

For the average car, its probably ok, but if its a high rpm car, or you gear the snot out of it, then id get a custom one.

A decent custom shaft would run about 320 or so.

I paid 400 for a 27 spline, thick wall 1350 Ujointed shaft.

68Stang said:
It would be scary to have a carbon fiber driveshaft. Ever see the carbon fiber forks on a bicycle give out? They shatter with virtually no warning = face plant into rocks.

I've had a carbon fiber d/s from PST on the car now for the past 20k. These d/s are as durable as any out there.

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
The complete unit is junk. Im having a new custom one made. It was way off balance and bent aparently. I thought it seemed wierd that there was such big counter weights on it...

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Is there anyone else out there who makes alum. D/S for our cars? What is the length of the D/S if I had one made?

Users who are viewing this thread