FRPP 3.73's and gear whine

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
I had a shop install my FRPP 3.73's quite a few months ago and now they are whining. i took my car back to the shop to have them looked at. the guy that installed them said that they are still perfectly alligned and he cant see anything wrong with them. there are no metal shavings in the oil or anything else like that to suggest that they are grinding. he says that on the box it states that there will be more gear noise for this instalation but i have driven it aprox. 10k miles since then instalation. i also have heard no other complaints from people on this board about there gears. can anyone help me? the noise is driving me crazy and im paranoid that something is wrong. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Check the rear diff, make sure there are no leaks. Also I would get a second opinion. Anyone can SAY that they did a perfect job on it, but if they aren't correctly shimmed, or even if he forgot to add friction modifier, your gonna get whine and eventually chatter.

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
He said he added the friction modifier. I checked for leaks and there were none. a little while back i had a leak and fixed it. when i took him for a ride in it he said it sounded like an axle bearing but when he checked it he didnt check the bearings. all he did to check the bearings was to stick his finger in the axle and feel for metal fragments or metal shavings from wear. i dunno but to me this didnt sound like a sufficient inspection. another thig is that this inspection was free but to take anything apart or re-set the gears would cost me money for his time. what should i do? i am 21 years old and dont know much about rear ends.

thx for your help

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Unless this guy is a good friend or something and you trust him, I would get a second opinion, because as much whine as you are describing is not normal.

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
No this guy is not a personal friend or anything. Does anyone know a better speed shop in the San Francisco Bay Area?

The for the help Hillie16

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
With the addition of the aluminum D/S and Tri-Ax shifter, you'll get more harmonics through them. Hence more whine. It won't hurt to get it checked out again, but the gear D/S and shifter will allow more noise in the car.

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
yes but why all of the sudden would i get whine after 10k miles of already having the shifter D/S and gears?
=]

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
One the pattern is worn in the whine may increase some, but it should have alway had just a touch. It shouldn't be totally quiet then go to moaning like a $2 HO. ;-) Was the pinion bearing and other bearings changed? It may just be a noisy bearing going bad. It's worth getting checked out completely. :beer:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Sounds like he didn't get it set up just perfect. I would def. get a second opinion. The bearings are also a good possibilty and yes some gear sets will make some noise, but not enough to notice, I have had my 3.73s(not FRPP's, can't remember what brand) for almost 3 yrs and never a peep out of them. BTW the gears may have been an older production gear set. I know that Ford has had a change within the last year or two on their gear sets b/c there were a number of them that would whine no matter what or who set them up. If I remember right it was Helical cut teeth or something I will check tomm at work and see if it also affected the FRPP gears.

Users who are viewing this thread