Front Wheel Studs

weswtbcobra

Established Member
Front Wheel Studs****HELP****

i got my new wheels on and i am temporarily using some bolt on spacers but those scare me-

i ordered some 3" studs from Summit for the front but the ones they sent me are the wrong size. The local part store pulled up the ARP part number and they are for earlier model Mustangs. summit can't help from here.

I need the info to get my studs if anyone has it- brand and part number along with the place to get them would be awesome.

thanks

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i second the moroso stud sentiment. no sense spending all that money on the arp studs when you're just going to throw them away when the wheel bearings go bad.

if you break a wheel stud its becuase you were doing something stupid, not because the stud was weak.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
i second the moroso stud sentiment. no sense spending all that money on the arp studs when you're just going to throw them away when the wheel bearings go bad.

Why would you throw the wheel studs away when the bearing goes bad? If you have to replace the hub assembly you can take the studs back out. It is a bit more work but you can reuse them as far as I know ;-)

I have the ARP 3" studs all the way around on my Cobra... I got the fronts from Maximum Motorsports and the rears came with my Level 5 halfshafts from Drive Shaft Shop.

Shannon

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
because you throw the whole hub away when the bearings go bad, and my time is worth way more than a handful of studs.

Can you not just replace the bearings in the hubs like you do the rear knuckles? When I had mine apart the bearing looked similar to what is in the rears... it's a two piece bearing and I think it's made by Timken too.

For what you have to give for the ARP studs... they're worth the time to take out and put in the new hubs if you ever have to do that. At least they are to me anyways ;-)

ShelbyGuy said:
that plus pressing the studs in crushes the knurl on the stud. they're not really meant to be reused.

Pressing them in? Nothing that a grade 8 nut, a spacer and an impact gun won't take care of :-D

I would think as hard as the ARP studs are you wouldn't run into that problem... I seemed to think they were harder than the actual hub they slide into themselves. The only way to tell for sure would be to take them both to work and put them on the Rockwell tester to see which is harder :idea: But I really don't have the desire to pull a front hub off just for the sake of testing :nonono:

Shannon

Users who are viewing this thread