Front wheel studs

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
So I bought steeda 2.5 inch arp wheel studs they say they need to be drilled out to 39/64 for front. I have a hand drill but how do I keep it at a perfect 90 degree angle so they are straight. Any tips? How did you all do this?

Rears went in easy.

IMG_20190201_191802.jpeg
IMG_20190201_191811.jpeg

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Soap

Established Member
What Troy said is best, pull the hub and use a drill press. With that being said, I drilled mine out by hand 15 years ago and haven't had a single issue. Just have to take your time and be as precise as possible. You will not be able to drill them perfect but it won't matter as you have a small amount of play once the splines are pulled in.

--Joe

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Just drill it. The holes are already there, how off can you possibly get?

Papaw

Established Member
Some drills have a small bubble level on them, that might help. But the holes that are there will function as a guide for the larger drill bit. I think you'd have to work pretty hard at it to mess up the angle.

olympic

Established Member
I drilled mine by hand, no problem. Just go slow and eyeball the drill from a few directions to get it as perpendicular as you can. The other option is to take it to a machine shop where they have the proper machines to do it perfectly.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Started to drill out fronts today. Got 2 done before my cheap drill bit ate the dust....
Ordered a new cobalt coated bit.

I bought a wheel studs puller pretty neat tool and works well for 20 bucks.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Users who are viewing this thread