Front Spring Advice....

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Okay so I dropped the struts and springs out today, and the springs were a real pain (pryed them out with pry bar). I've been searching all day to see if I needed compressors or not. Well I used them and figured when it came to putting the Eibach Drag springs in, that would be fairly easy. HELL NO I have to compress the crap out of them to get them in but I have external spring compressors so thats really not gonna work. So what would you do just get some different front spring (lowering springs so they fit in easy) or just try and figure something out and get the Drag Springs in? My struts are Lakewood 90/10's. Any advice would be appreciated. And my main goal is LOWERING my 60ft. :beer::beer:

IMAGE_140.gif

IMAGE_141.gif

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
MMR coilovers. I have eibach drag springs in my car, the front sat higher than stock so i changed to the coilovers and have been happy ever since...it was harder for me to pull out the eibach drag springs fronts to pull the stock springs.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Yeah I noticed they were just a little longer then stock. How hard was it to install they MMR Coil Over kit? I was just actually looking at that. I think I am going to have to order tomorrow. Thanks

Al

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I really can't tell by the pic (internet phone) but looks like the tie rod end for the rack & opinion hasn't been released from the spindle. The spindle\A-arm need to be free of the steering tie rod, sway bar links & shock in order to push the A-arm down far enough to avoid needing\using spring compressor. Push the A-arm down, align the spring, then jack up the A-arm up & bolt everything back up. Hope this helps.

Tip: Be careful with that brake line.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I really can't tell by the pic (internet phone) but looks like the tie rod end for the rack & opinion hasn't been released from the spindle. The spindleA-arm need to be free of the steering tie rod, sway bar links & shock in order to push the A-arm down far enough to avoid needingusing spring compressor. Push the A-arm down, align the spring, then jack up the A-arm up & bolt everything back up. Hope this helps.

I searched and I thought that I read if was going to remove the tie rod I needed a special tool (or else I would start breaking stuff). Maybe I'll just remove it. Where do I start?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I searched and I thought that I read if was going to remove the tie rod I needed a special tool (or else I would start breaking stuff). Maybe I'll just remove it. Where do I start?

It's not that special. You can rent it an any major auto parts store that lends/rents tools out. It's called a tie rod puller/pusher (if I remember correctly). You'll have to remove it......trust me it willl make things so much easier.....very easy.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
It's not that special. You can rent it an any major auto parts store that lends/rents tools out. It's called a tie rod puller/pusher (if I remember correctly). You'll have to remove it......trust me it willl make things so much easier.....very easy.

dont even need that....

just loosen the nut on the tie rod end. leave the nut on the tie red threaded on about 4 threads or so. Grab a hammer and whack the bastard being careful not to mushroom the threads... will pop right off. Be sure to remove the sway bar end links too.

Ive done so many spring installs on mustangs its not even funny. I can do a rear upper and lower control arm set, rear springs and shocks, front struts, springs and CC plates in about 3-4 hours.... that includes a few beer breaks :)

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Yeah I noticed they were just a little longer then stock. How hard was it to install they MMR Coil Over kit? I was just actually looking at that. I think I am going to have to order tomorrow. Thanks

Al

The install was very easy, just like putting a strut on the car...the only problem i came across was the the top peice of the coilover wasn't quite large enough for my lakewood strut, so i opened it up a bit and it fit great. I am very happy with them and you can't beat the price.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I really can't tell by the pic (internet phone) but looks like the tie rod end for the rack & opinion hasn't been released from the spindle. The spindleA-arm need to be free of the steering tie rod, sway bar links & shock in order to push the A-arm down far enough to avoid needingusing spring compressor. Push the A-arm down, align the spring, then jack up the A-arm up & bolt everything back up. Hope this helps.

even doing that, i doubt the spring will fit without compressors. it is a very tall and stiff spring compared to stock, so you definitely cannot compare it to installing lower springs...

fire

Bleeding Blue
Established Member
dont even need that....

just loosen the nut on the tie rod end. leave the nut on the tie red threaded on about 4 threads or so. Grab a hammer and whack the bastard being careful not to mushroom the threads... will pop right off. Be sure to remove the sway bar end links too.

Ive done so many spring installs on mustangs its not even funny. I can do a rear upper and lower control arm set, rear springs and shocks, front struts, springs and CC plates in about 3-4 hours.... that includes a few beer breaks :)

+1 , just smack it right out... its barely held in there... itll be a lot easier then, my lowering springs went right in but thats a different story compared to those

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
even doing that, i doubt the spring will fit without compressors. it is a very tall and stiff spring compared to stock, so you definitely cannot compare it to installing lower springs...

+1 on being a big ass spring!!! I am going with the coilover from MMR. I hope those look and WORK a lot better. From what they said I can even lower the front up to 3 inches. I kinda like that instead of having a car that looks like its launching even when its just sitting there:rockon::rockon: Thanks for help guys we'll see how they look when they come in. :beer:

Al

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
+1 on being a big ass spring!!! I am going with the coilover from MMR. I hope those look and WORK a lot better. From what they said I can even lower the front up to 3 inches. I kinda like that instead of having a car that looks like its launching even when its just sitting there:rockon::rockon: Thanks for help guys we'll see how they look when they come in. :beer:

Al

Yes, my car had a reverse rake with the Eibachs on all four corners. now with the coilovers and can tuck the front wheels if i wanted to or get teh reverse rae again if i feel reminiscent.

Users who are viewing this thread