Front plate holes in bumper

99cobraclone

Established Member
So I'm looking for a cobra but the ones I tend to find have front plates on them. I live in PA and we don't use them. nor would I use them if required. :-D But I was wondering for those that had them on and removed them, where are the holes? How did you fix them after you removed them? Does it look noticeable? Thanks

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
i bought a new 04 in texas, the dealer puts the plate holder on everything run through. it is not necessary in La. i took it off by drilling the heads off the rivets and plugged the holes with push pins i got from the ford dealer.before i installed the pins i painted them with touch up paint. they look ok and are hardly noticeable. otherwise you have to take off the bumper cover and have them filled and the whole cover painted or replace it with a new cover.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
I just took a break from mounting my front plate! Unfortunately for me, the Dealer must have asked one of the apprentices to take out his best drill, put the dullest drill bit in it and push like buggary until it went through! You can even see where the chuck of the drill hit the bumper :cuss:

I wasn't going to run a front plate but the laws just changed here and it's gone from a $79 fine to a $300 fine and a quarter of your points on your licence :dw:

After a lot of deliberation on how to hide best what the dealer has done to my car (remembering that Oz number plates are TOTALLY different in size and shape to US ones) I am mounting two vertical brackets about 1/2" wide with 1/4" rubber on the back. The number plates will then clip into the brackets and not cause any further scratching or damage. It also means that if I want to put the bra on the front, it will neatly slip over the brackets and I can clip the plate back on over the top...

If you don't have to have the plate, take the route that slowacobra did and put some push pins in there painted to match the car. Neat, cost effective and a good solution. Good Luck.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys. OZ Dude you need to post some pics up of your one of a kind cobra! I'm wondering where the extra driving lights and side markers are?

built93cobra

BIG GIB
Established Member
I have a buddy that works in a high end body shop and he is going to take my bumper off, strip all of the clear, fill the 4 holes with plastic weld, blend the paint, and then re clear the whole bumper for $200. He said you will never be able to tell, and I will never have to look at that stupid front plate again! (Here in MO we have to have a front plate, but it ruins the look of the front of the car). I would get it fixed right, I don't really care for how the push pins look.

Users who are viewing this thread