front license plate law

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbgt

custom user title here
Established Member
ive been hearing rumors that texas has passed a law saying you dont need to display the front plate in an effort to cut down on making plates...from what i thought the front plate doesnt have to be on the front bumper just displayed in the front somewhere. can i get a clarification on this law please. thanks

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
Ya I just believe it has to be displayed on the front half of your car ex. on your dash or something similar

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
I'm don't work in TX but I can't imagine the laws are much different than here in NY... you are issued 2 plates... you must display 2 plates... ON THE BUMPER. License plate scanning devices don't look in you windshield... they look at bumper level.

I wouldn't be cruising around thinking you are safe based on what some other potentially unknowing motorist said. Call DPS or do the research yourself because you're the one who's going to get a ticket.. not someone on a forum who told you it was ok.

§ 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR
REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the
person operates on a public highway during a registration period a
passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates
, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have
been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the
department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the
period.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000502.00.htm#502.002.00

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
kbgt said:
ive been hearing rumors that texas has passed a law saying you dont need to display the front plate in an effort to cut down on making plates...from what i thought the front plate doesnt have to be on the front bumper just displayed in the front somewhere. can i get a clarification on this law please. thanks

I hope you are right :bowdown:

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
First of all, the law did not pass. Yes the license can be displayed on the dash and displayed where the numerals can be seen. Not just thrown up there. I have been issuing a lot of citations to the corvette owners here lately. For some reason they think that they are exempt. Its not that hard to get a plate on a corvette or other vehicles for that matter.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Iceman II said:
First of all, the law did not pass. Yes the license can be displayed on the dash and displayed where the numerals can be seen. Not just thrown up there. I have been issuing a lot of citations to the corvette owners here lately. For some reason they think that they are exempt. Its not that hard to get a plate on a corvette or other vehicles for that matter.

There are a few companies that make a nice removable bracket for the front plate of the C6.

oldmodman

Established Member
Try putting both plates on the rear of the car.

"But officer, I have both plates clearly visible" :thumbsup:

Rhyno

3617 of 4966
Established Member
Don't quote me, but if there is no place on the front of the vehicle, you don't have to put the license plate on the front, ie. corvettes. That is what I was told a while back. But like Trooper4985 mentioned, I didn't get that from the DPS.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Rhyno said:
Don't quote me, but if there is no place on the front of the vehicle, you don't have to put the license plate on the front, ie. corvettes. That is what I was told a while back. But like Trooper4985 mentioned, I didn't get that from the DPS.
No Sir, older model corvettes have a panel cover and under this panel is where the license plate fits. Late model corvettes, the bumper changed. I checked with the local Chevrolet Dealership, they DO make a bracket. I have heard that two sided tape makes it work, I don't know. I stopped a Ferrari owner and he threw a fit. He called the Sgt. telling him he wanted me to leave him alone. Some people??? :shrug:

Nick85

Banned
Iceman II said:

Do you really want to see Ferraris with front plates?

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
Iceman II said:
No Sir, older model corvettes have a panel cover and under this panel is where the license plate fits. Late model corvettes, the bumper changed. I checked with the local Chevrolet Dealership, they DO make a bracket. I have heard that two sided tape makes it work, I don't know. I stopped a Ferrari owner and he threw a fit. He called the Sgt. telling him he wanted me to leave him alone. Some people??? :shrug:

I hope you wrote him. People like that get maximum attention from me. Cry because you think you're better than everyone else... tell it to the judge.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Trooper4985 said:
I hope you wrote him. People like that get maximum attention from me. Cry because you think you're better than everyone else... tell it to the judge.
Your darn right I wrote him and I agree with your answer. Also, wrote a corvette owner last night. I was nice and warned him TWICE already! He abused the system. I guess some folks think that they are above everyone else.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I really find front plates a disgrace to the design of virtually any car, too bad some states still have a front plate law.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Why do some states require it and others don't? :??: Why does Texas state that you MUST have a front plate while other states don't. Every year i go to Orlando i see everyone without a plate and think how nice and clean some of their cars look without that front plate.

svtdriven

Established Member
I agree, the current license plate does not go well with modern car designs. I don't use one on my cobra. I'll put it on the dash, but my cobra is a North Carolina car and the bumper has never been drilled for a plate. I don't drive the car very often, so I don't think it is much of an issue.

I'd like to see a slimmer, european style plate option as opposed to the wind dam we have now.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Front plates suck. At least my truck is boxy enough where the plate goes with the truck, ubt when I get an SVT, I won't have one and will happily pay the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread