front license plate in windshield

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
Hey guys, I live in VA, which requires a front license plate. The front plate really detracts from the look of the car and I've seen other people that have removed the front plate from the bumper and put it in the corner of passenger side windshield. Is this acceptable? I know just because others are doing it doesnt mean it's legal, but I thought I would ask before I do it and end up with a ticket and find out the hardway if its not "acceptable". Thanks for the clarification :beer:

1996slowbra

Established Member
Im not in Virginia, but California is pretty strict when it comes to laws such as this. My old mustang never had a front plate, i was pulled over twice for it but never got a ticket. My cobra has it mounted on my front windshield on the passenger side and i have yet to be stopped for that.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Yes, it is illegal. If anything you will be more likely to be ticketed because the plate in the windsheild is more noticeable than no plate at all. It is also a safety hazard. Slam on the brakes and your passenger gets decapitated.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Windshield plate is no good, it must be on front.

Just buy one of the "no drill" license plate holders if you are worried about holes in your bumper. I had one for my 03 it worked just great and came off very easy for cleaning or shows.

You can't see the front of your vehicle while you are driving anyway. Plus it looks just as crappy, if not worse (imo), with it in the windshield.

Red10thcv

Established Member
Windshield plate is no good, it must be on front.

Just buy one of the "no drill" license plate holders if you are worried about holes in your bumper. I had one for my 03 it worked just great and came off very easy for cleaning or shows.

You can't see the front of your vehicle while you are driving anyway. Plus it looks just as crappy, if not worse (imo), with it in the windshield.

+1 in state of Texas.

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
I'm in VA....I have the "no drill" bracket its perfect cause you can take it off easy at car shows and such.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
46.2-715, Code of Virginia - License plates assigned to a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, tractor truck trailer, or semi-trailer, or to persons licensed as motor vehicle dealers or transporters of unladen vehicles, shall be attached to the front and rear of the vehicle.

46.2-716, Code of Virginia - Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned: 1) so as to prevent the plate from swinging, 2) in a position to be clearly visible, and 3) in a condition to be clearly legible.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
+1 in state of Texas.
this has been the case only recently. For a LONG time having it displayed in your windshiled was within the letter of the law because of the way it was written. It was only in the last year that a judge clarified that it must be on the front bumper.

hopefuly one of these days they will pass a no front plate law

silver03svt

Established Member
I wish VA would pass a no front plate law. Dumb old guys won't ever get up off it though.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
When I installed a new front bumper, I didn't want to bother with a plate or no-drill bracket. That's just me, I know it's illegal, I prefer the look of a clean front end. I have been pulled once for it in the 2+ years I've owned the car, and I was honest and said I just had the bumper painted, the officer let me go. I also live in the Hampton Roads area and we have drivers coming up from NC all the time (they have no front plate requirement), so it seems the LEO's aren't really looking quite as hard because quite a few cars can be seen in the area with no front plate. They'd run themselves ragged trying to see if your rear plate is from VA or NC.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member

Story time in the Donut shop is getting kind of old. Every time someone posts a thread asking a question, someone has to post about a similar situation happening to them. But they provide no advice to the op or even list the end result of their similar experience so the op has something to reference to.

silver03svt

Established Member
Story time in the Donut shop is getting kind of old. Every time someone posts a thread asking a question, someone has to post about a similar situation happening to them. But they provide no advice to the op or even list the end result of their similar experience so the op has something to reference to.

Oh you right. And if you look, most have low to no post count.

Users who are viewing this thread