front license plate bracket

fiveoguy

Established Member
So my 03 is supposed to come in next week and the dealer said they can not leave the front plate off due to the front plate law here in va. I do not want to have to depend on the dealer finding a solution to getting around drilling holes in the front bumper. Anyone know where I can get a front plate bracket that is not so permenant?

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Don't know if this will work for you, but did for me:

I live in a state that requires a front plate as well, and the dealer also told me they HAD to install the bracket. I tracked my car, and when it was sitting in the rail lot, before the truck carriers picked it up to deliver to the dealer, I had the dealership fill out some papers and I went to the rail lot and picked the car up myself with my sales rep. It had 3.0 miles on the odometer, the transport tape and plastic rapping still on the seats and on the bumpers, etc - and dirty as heck. I then drove the car to the detail shop the dealer used to get the plastic removed and a general prep for delivery. I told the detail shop the car was mine, and I didn't want any stickers, window etching, nothing to be put on my car. They delivered it to the dealership and woola - no front plate holder. The dealer didn't catch it, so I drove off like that. Sure, I paid the $160 for that plastic plate holder, but it's worth it to just loose the cash and have a clean bumper I don't have to fill holes in! Good luck.

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
i live in TX and it's a law here, but they didn't even ask (or try) about putting the front liscense plate cover on the bumper. it wasn't even an issue w/ my car.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
I live in Ohio and its the law here but the dealer is jerking you around...

I told them 'do not put that ugly ass licence bracket on and dont you dare put a dealer emblem or sticker on...'

they didn't

coleman

Established Member
just tell 'em if it has the front license bracket and/or mounting holes of any kind in the front bumper, you'll take your business elsewhere!

no joke.

NC Cobra

Established Member
I live in NC but purchased my car in VA where they put on the plate bracket. Since the car was already in thier inventory I had no chance to request NO BRACKET.

The bracket they used was actually pop riveted in place. I took my Dewalt and a carefully selected a drill size to match the rivet diamiter and drilled out the rivets. BRACKET GONE - 4 HOLES REMAIN.

I then contacted a very good body shop and inquired as to getting the holes filled and the bumper repainted/clearcoated. The bodyshop owner was honest about it and said that he felt that the piant/clearcoat would be much more likely to crack later and he would not go this route on his own car.

I then visited the Ford parts counter. The salesman (also a Mustang owner) suggested I try putting in 4 plastic snap in retainers like they use to hold in trunk liners. He went to the parts bin and found the exact size I needed to fit the existing holes. The color was a couple of shades darker then my Satin Silver but combined with the darker colors around the front of the car it actually looks decent. Much better than the huge license plate bracket. Not a high tech fix but so far I have spent zero money. (The parts guy gave the parts to me.) I took pictures. If anybody is interested let me know and I will post them.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Sure, I paid the $160 for that plastic plate holder

What? :shrug: $160 for the holder? It should be free. I must be misundertanding you... Good job on the delivery though :thumbsup:

KNGOBRA

Banned
Told my dealer to leave it off and he put the bracket in the trunk so I could install at my will.... State is CA :thumbsup:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe

What? :shrug: $160 for the holder? It should be free. I must be misundertanding you... Good job on the delivery though :thumbsup:

Front licence bracket is a $160 option from Ford. When you have to have a front plate, they have to order this bracket. I agree with you - $160 for that peice of plastic is robbery.

coleman

Established Member
will i've got an extra one in that case! ... and not for $160... maybe $150 ... J/K

i'm going to try to make a removable front license bracket like "VintagePorsheG" posted a while back ... just need to find the time and determination ... determination may come by route of a ticket/warning though :)

whatever it comes down to, i'm not installing the factory one ... yuck!

griffined

SVT driver
I told them to leave the front tag off of my 01. No problems.

I've got the same request for my 03 that's on the way.

Even though a front tag is required here in CA, about 25% of the cars on the road don't have one. Some cities use that as a reason to pull over the folks out cruising and likely to be street racing.:bash:

03rocks

Established Member
I've been told that WA's law regarding the front plate says that if the car isn't equipped with a bracket then you don't have to put a plate up there. My dealer gave me the bracket and gave me the option of putting it on or not.

Since I've been driving around without one I now notice a lot of cars on the road that don't have a front plate as well.

DigitalMan

With my current ride and my previous ride I have been driving
in Va for 4 years with no front plate... without any problems!

Pays to be lucky I guess :)

Does not look to sweet with in on...

pow.jpg

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
I just bought mine from a dealer in VA, they never made an issue about it, the 30 day tag (rear) is still in my trunk.

I also live in VA and have been driving for 4 days now without it!

J

fiveoguy

Established Member
Well, this dealer has treated me exceptional from the start, and I really hate to make a big stink about them leaving the bracket off when it is illegal for them to do so. Looks like my best option at this point is to have them install the pt cruiser bracket instead, or hope they "forget" to put it on.

TPOC

Established Member
Originally posted by sbc.cobra
i live in TX and it's a law here, but they didn't even ask (or try) about putting the front liscense plate cover on the bumper. it wasn't even an issue w/ my car.

Me too

Z06_2002

www.HighSpeedDriving.com
Established Member
I refused the plate, and I also asked do not take any plastic off my car, one of the best quality control cars I have ever received. Good luck, your dealer might still decide to look the other way.

cobraside.jpg
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread