Front end/steering wheel shakes at 100mph+

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
I noticed this awhile back and even after the new tires and balance she still does it. I'm thinking two things.

1. They only put weights on the inside of the rims and not the outside so when she hits that speed I get the shake.

2. My ride is lowered but I have no caster camber plates so the alignment is a tad off, but I'm almost positive a messed alignment won't cause a vehicle to vibrate.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
lol, called discount tire and their balance machines only go to 60mph. Don't know why that would be since the average speed in CO is 65mph and as much as 75mph. They said they wanted me to bring it by but seems like a waste of time.

71catruck

Established Member
your caster shouldnt give you a shake no mater how far of it is. that would be your toe. if you lowered your car alot i guess your toe could get of enough to be the problem. other then that i would check tie rod ends ball joints bushings and all bolts on the front end.

zPipes

Established Member
I have the same problem right now, with vibration. Im pretty sure its the balancing, but not 100% because within the last two months i have gotten 4 new tires, balance, and alignment.

I know the alignment is off. Tire Kingdom guy didnt even know how to work cc plate till i showed him. He gave me the printout showing the end result, and I'm not sure what the numbers are supposed to be but I do know it pulls right and the tires are still a slight bit tucked in at the top, meaning they look like / \ instead of | | They said it was the best that could be done....

The vibration is really starting to annoy me, but I really dont want to go back to them. It seems to be most noticeable cruising at 70, its intermittant.. if i used a period to be no shake, and a colon to be shake, it would look like this ....::::....::::....::::....:::: odd huh?

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
i was hanging out some friends yesterday and one of the guys I know works at a tire store. He looked at my weights and said they were counter balanced so he's almost positive its the balancing. I had it done by a cheapo Tread Quarters store back in VA since there were no Discount Tire stores so I'll take it to them later on in the week to see if it works.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I have the same problem right now, with vibration. Im pretty sure its the balancing, but not 100% because within the last two months i have gotten 4 new tires, balance, and alignment.

I know the alignment is off. Tire Kingdom guy didnt even know how to work cc plate till i showed him. He gave me the printout showing the end result, and I'm not sure what the numbers are supposed to be but I do know it pulls right and the tires are still a slight bit tucked in at the top, meaning they look like / \ instead of | | They said it was the best that could be done....

The vibration is really starting to annoy me, but I really dont want to go back to them. It seems to be most noticeable cruising at 70, its intermittant.. if i used a period to be no shake, and a colon to be shake, it would look like this ....::::....::::....::::....:::: odd huh?

If its a proper report it should give the initial reading of your alignment, the acceptable range for it and then what thet set it to. They probably set your overall toe value but didnt consider the trust angles of your camber settings, I almost guarentee one or both of those are actually set outside the margin parameters but total values match

zPipes

Established Member
Yea man I need to hook up with a mustang knowledgeable aligner. I was talking to a guy on here a while back, said he knew someone in St. Pete, its about an hour and a half from me, but I really need to get some quality work done becuase this is driving me absolutely nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread