Front End Steering Creak, video inside, input please

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Well the 57,000 mile KB Cobra has a front end steering creak. When I turn the wheel from a stop or very slow roll it's present. The power steering fluid is normal, but the car seems to idle down a little when I turn the wheel, (you can hear this in the video). I have done my research and it seems that this is pretty common and the fix is to go with Maximum Motorsports Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings. However,
My car already has these installed for 30,000 miles.

Here's a video, input would be appreciated!
Thanks
DSCF0866.mp4 video by joeyf150 - Photobucket

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I didn't hear any steering creak in that vid. :shrug:

Have you checked the steering rack bolts to make sure they're tight?

Last edited:

svtvm03

Established Member
you can go with a ploy urthane bushing kit comes with 4 bushing and 2 inner sleeves. i dont thing that is your problem . i would jack the front end up to take the load off the front end then turn the wheelies if the sounds goes away or is very little it might be the the bottom ball joint .

Jefe

Established Member
Sounded like motor tick in the vid haha.

You don't have solid rack bushings? What are you waiting for? :rolling:

Jefe

Established Member
oh crap, I stopped reading after that part. Like I said, that sounds like motor tick haha

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Possible lower ball joints. The proper way to check ball joints is to jack up the front of the car to where the front tires are about 2"-3" off of the ground. Support the front end with jack stands. Now take a long pry bar or pipe(about 3' long) and put underneath one tire at a time and pry upwards. If there is excessive movement in the ball joint or a slight popping sound from the lower ball joints, it's probably time to replace them. It may be better to get a friend to pry up and down under the tire while you crawl under the car and watch and listen to the ball joint. Hope this helps.

Jefe

Established Member
If the solid sleeves were fine for 30k miles, it cant be the length thats the problem.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
If the solid sleeves were fine for 30k miles, it cant be the length thats the problem.

:bash: <- me

I did not read his post entirely.

Yes indeed, I agree as well.

The only other culprit is the ball joint on the control arm. when the grease dries out, it will cause a creak sound when the joint moves with the steering wheel turn.

OP can try to get some grease under the boot, and my guess is that this should fix the problem.

If he waits too long with this issue, the lining will distort, and his balljoints will develop a "pop" noise and will have to be replaced as a result.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I'm taking it over to my tuner's shop early next week. I will report back and if in the meantime I get crazy over the weekend I'll take a good look

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Update,
Took it to my tuner and they pulled the aftermarket aluminum steering rack bushings out and the grease was all dried up. Took the bushings apart, cleaned them with a wire brush and put them back together with a bunch of bearing grease and all is well...NO MORE CREAK!
Thanks guys

bwahl602

Established Member
i have a similar occasional click when i turn the wheel when stopped or moving slow.

retorque everything in the front suspension and see if it disapears

Users who are viewing this thread