Front end shake around 60 MPH

99FiveOh

Established Member
Have a weird problem and need some help. Since I bought my car I have a front end shake at about 60 mph. 5 mph in either direction will cause the shake to disappear. It did this on my original wheels/tires, brand new FR500's and tires, and now with my brand used chrome stockers.

The gentleman that bought my stock wheels/tires says they ride perfect! So there's something in the front suspension that's causing this. When I'm backing out of my driveway I can feel a little clunk/snapping in my steering wheel. And just today I notice what sounds like metal grinding when I'm pulling into a parking space (left turn) can feel that in the steering wheel as well.

My rack bushings are brand new urethane because I thought they were the problem but the stock ones were in great shape and it didn't fix the issue. I'm not really looking for a bunch of guesses here, just some common issues that might cause this.

This car was very well taken care of but came from the north-east and I hear the roadways up there aren't very kind to cars. I'm game to replace parts but I don't want to spend a ton of money on parts I don't need. I appreciate the help!

Bigggy

Established Member
Did you check the control arms? Had also a shake all summer long and also a clunk when backing up and turning the steering to the right (nose to the left). Last day of the season I found out that the front lower control arms were loose (MM tubular). I've tighten both CA and the shake was pretty much gone after that.

MG0h3

Established Member
Well I guess you can eliminate the wheels/tires. Since it happens at only a given speed, AND you can cure it by speeding up or slowing down, I would still look at something effected by speed like the hub assy.

Some heavier trucks, especially Fords it seems, can get a death wobble after hitting a bump just right. The cause is usually a combination or worn bushings in the front. The problem wont show up just from speed and you almost have to come to a stop to cure it.

I really dont think yours has anything to do with bushings if you can in fact recreate/stop it at certain speeds.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If it is a constant shake it could be a wheel bearing. I had one go bad and felt like bad tires at speed and I could not feel it doing the usually check of the wheel, but after I took the tire and brakes off and turned the hub if felt gritty.

hotcobra03

Established Member
As MGoh3 said death wobble. ..

being a mechanic on vibration problems ive came across some crazy things that can cause vibration in dash or wheel and not even connected in any way..

but 1st 2 things I would look for...

bad wheel bearing.

how was tire balanced..

than rotors...they are balanced like a wheel..

just 1 side is enough to cause problems..

than steering shaft from box to column can get stuck its 2 piece shaft..

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Im still kindof leaning towards a rotational/speed related issue.

My 09 F250 work truck would get the death wobble at random speeds and I couldnt recreate it. I wouldnt think any sort of worn bushing would just show up as a wobble at XX speed.

OP not sure if you keep getting the balancing done at the same shop. I had a vibration at XX speed in my lifted FJ. Turned out the balancer was off at the discount tire I was going to.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have seen a shake occur around 60mph from either wheel balance or warped rotors. Some free things to try is first check runout on front rotors. Second, use a torque wrench to put your wheels back on. Start @ 40lbs in a star pattern, then 70lbs. then 100 to 110 lbs.

If the problem is still there, do like suggested above and have another shop rebalance the tires (Remove and torque wheels back on when you get home, air wrenches are not as consistent, especially since they go to full torque on each lug all at once). For the most consistent torque, I put a light smear of oil on each stud. A great mechanic I know never torques a dry bolt.

Finally, if still not resolved, check the wheel bearings.

A 60mph shake usually points to a balance or runout problem in my experience. I would think that a control arm or ball joint would wobble throughout a wider mph range.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
If it is a constant shake it could be a wheel bearing. I had one go bad and felt like bad tires at speed and I could not feel it doing the usually check of the wheel, but after I took the tire and brakes off and turned the hub if felt gritty.

This.

I have had the same problem with wheel shake and it was just a wheel bearing that was slightly out of adjustment.

blk02edge

Established Member
Well I guess you can eliminate the wheels/tires. Since it happens at only a given speed, AND you can cure it by speeding up or slowing down, I would still look at something effected by speed like the hub assy.

Some heavier trucks, especially Fords it seems, can get a death wobble after hitting a bump just right. The cause is usually a combination or worn bushings in the front. The problem wont show up just from speed and you almost have to come to a stop to cure it.

I really dont think yours has anything to do with bushings if you can in fact recreate/stop it at certain speeds.

Death wobble is 99% of the time a trait of solid front axles. Most common in jeeps and 2500/3500 rams.

If the vibration goes away while turning it is almost always a wheel bearing/hub assembly

99FiveOh

Established Member
It gets less when going around a curve at speed but ALWAYS comes in right at 60 mph. I can't imagine 3 sets of different wheels were installed at the wrong torque. The last set of wheels came off a known smooth riding car and also my wheels when put on his car were smooth as well. Also I want to reiterate it is NOT a vibration. It is a wobble/shake. A wheel imbalance feels different than this.

Warped rotors are a possibility but I'm going to put the car up and listen/feel the bearings and see where that leads me. The only way I could see a warped rotor causing a shake is when you're on the brakes, the center section being bolted down shouldn't allow the rotors to warp on that section.

99FiveOh

Established Member
No. I haven't gotten around to changing the front end yet. May be going turbo soon and will do the whole new K member then.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
You sure its not an alignment issue? My car always drove great! Then i changed my springs to bring the car up .5in and got it realigned at some local place. I have had a wobble in the wheel from 55mph and up. I gotta take it to a better shop and see if i can get a better alignment.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Mine shook really bad after the K member install after 60mph. I put the car back in the air loosened but didn't the take the K off member bolts, massaged it a bit then tighten it all back down. Now I can go 80 before the shakes kick in. I think it's a k member alignment issue. I haven't taken the time to properly align the K member. MM has a good write up on how to square it evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread