front end shake 2011 gt500

roxas4620

Established Member
Ok so my car is lowered and at upper speeds it gets pretty sketchy like the front end is dancing all over the place. I recently bought and had installed j&m caster camber plates. Install went great, I had the car aligned and had the tires balanced but the car is still shaking at high speeds 120 and up. Can anyone else think of what it could be? Also car was never wrecked it has 26000 mIles on it

tktlwyr

Established Member
Ford uses a hydro (liquid filled) bushing in the front lower control arms. These tend to start leaking and cause vibrations and other drivability issues. It's worth a check.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ford uses a hydro (liquid filled) bushing in the front lower control arms. These tend to start leaking and cause vibrations and other drivability issues. It's worth a check.

^^^^With the GT500? I have seen V6 and GT owners complain about the lower control arm issues (squeaking and creaking), but the GT500 front LCA's are upgrades to the V6 and GT with different ball joints and supposedly different hydro bushings. I follow 3 GT500 specific forums almost daily, here, the GT500 discussion forum and Team Shelby, I have not seen much, if any mention of the oem front LCA's giving the issues that the Mustang GT and V6 owners have complained about since late 2005 and 2006-up.

I know ball joints changed from 18mm to 19mm front 2010 to 2011-up.

Maybe I have missed those hydro bushing discussions on the GT500 forums, please add some links.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Was told and shown on my 2010 GT500 while my car was on the dyno at Power By the Hour in Boynton Beach, FL. I had some front end shake. I have recently upgraded to the BMR tubular polyurethane bushing A-arms and the shake has disappeared.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...New-TSB-for-lower-control-arm-noise-2011-2013

^^^^Yes, that link is to the forum where Mustang GT owners frequent.

I have a couple of those TSB's printed out, they list things like 3.7L V6 at the top of the TSB, and 5.0L etc. I have not seen the GT500 specifically mentioned even though other engine sizes are listed on the TSB, and then the fact that the GT500 LCA's have different bushings and ball joints.

^^^This being said, since your 2010 had an issue, it can happen for sure, but it does not seem to be wide spread as it is with the V6 and MGT's.

............and BMR makes good stuff for sure.

R

tktlwyr

Established Member
Correct on the TSBs, but this particular one did not delineate between the various models...just some Mustangs.

The other thing to consider is how often most people drive their Shelbys. I know I'm one of the rare ones with 90,000 miles on the clock. Up north, they're stashed away all winter and how many are just weekend cars compared to GTs on V6s?

BTW, here's another TSB but pointing to the EPAS:

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb10-16-04.pdf

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Correct on the TSBs, but this particular one did not delineate between the various models...just some Mustangs.

The other thing to consider is how often most people drive their Shelbys. I know I'm one of the rare ones with 90,000 miles on the clock. Up north, they're stashed away all winter and how many are just weekend cars compared to GTs on V6s?

BTW, here's another TSB but pointing to the EPAS:

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb10-16-04.pdf

The EPAS issue isn't speed dependant, though. OP, you're not running on winter tires, are you? Also, since you just had caster/camber plates installed, it could very well be that you now have too much caster set which could definitely cause some instability at high speeds.

barspen

Established Member
I was impacted by the EPAS issue on my 2011. The wobble hit around 63MPH, continued to 75MPH and was much worse on any kind of gentle highway turn. After the dealership flashed the EPAS, there was a noticeable improvement. OP, since you are seeing the issue at much higher speed, this may not be related.

Users who are viewing this thread