Front end protection for a long drive

RedZR

Established Member
Hi,
I am relocating about 400 miles from my current home and plan to drive my 2008 GT500 there. It's a drive from Morgantown, WV to Louisville, KY and all interstate.

I am a bit worried about the front end getting chipped up on the long drive and was wondering if anyone had any ideas (other than hauling it on a trailer) to help prevent them.

I am not finding a front end bra but have seen people use painters tape.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Dan

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Colgon bra makes a bar that works. Seen a lot of people use them and like them. I just use painters tape. Sometimes it will blow off but works fairly good. Tried transport tape, but when you cut hole for openings it would not stay on.

barspen

Established Member
Might want to look at something like this...http://a.co/cVDsD95
I used something similar on a road course, but made the mistake of applying when it was cold, so it bubbled up at high speed (it didn't adhere properly going from very cold to very hot). But for what you are doing, should be fine. You can always use some blue painters tape to hold it in place for added protection against air lifting it up.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Painters tape is goofy but appears to work. The Mopar guys cover their entire quarterpanels in it at the track. Ive never had an issue with my quarterpanels getting nicked though... Mopar guys.... :/

RBB

Established Member
Painters tape will work, or you can use plastidip. Put it on thick and it peels off very easily.

RedZR

Established Member
I used something similar on a road course, but made the mistake of applying when it was cold, so it bubbled up at high speed (it didn't adhere properly going from very cold to very hot). But for what you are doing, should be fine. You can always used some blue painters tape to hold it in place for added protection against air lifting it up.
Awesome idea. Thank you !

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Plastidip like was said above comes off very easily if applied properly. Tons of YouTube vids on that topic.

Some people Plastidip their wheels before winter to protect against corrosion. In the spring they just peel it off.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I used something similar on a road course, but made the mistake of applying when it was cold, so it bubbled up at high speed (it didn't adhere properly going from very cold to very hot). But for what you are doing, should be fine. You can always use some blue painters tape to hold it in place for added protection against air lifting it up.

I tried some white transport wrap which looks similar to that but when I cut the openings for radiator and he it would not stay on. This looks interesting so may try some of that.

einehund

Established Member
I use painters tape at the strip and on auto-x. Works great at protecting and comes off easy as hell. Doesn't do well if it gets wet.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Here's a crazy idea. Try not to follow in other cars' debris zone or follow close enough that the debris doesn't have time to kick up in the air. I've had my GT500 for 7 years, and the only nicks in the paint came from a dickhead 328i driver who felt like he had something prove. He cut me off in a rainstorm and splashed up a bunch of rocks from the shoulder of the road that hit my fender.

Users who are viewing this thread