Front End Pop help!

Pollardhimself

Established Member
I have a pop I can feel in the clutch pedal and floorboard when going over bumps, and when turning the wheel back and forth Is really annoying. Ive read the the post but I am unsure if its the same issue. I jacked the car up and had someone move the steering wheel back and forth and from what I can tell Its coming from the rack, I felt it when I grabbed the driver side stud on the rack. Didn't really feel like it was moving when I touched the rack. Sometimes it goes away for awhile after I jack the car up and put it down which seems odd. Also checked the ball joints they feel fine!

:shrug:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
There is a TSB about the steering rack pop. I think it is some bushing tube or something. Try searching around for Steering Creak or Steering Pop TSB, or some such.

Hope that helps,

Marc

Established Member
I heard cobras are notorius for doing this once they hit about 20K miles. Mine is doing it now and I am getting it fixed. I guess the fix is simple--something about grinding a stock part in the steering down and then reinstalling it.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
TSB 05-14-3 calls for replacement of rack mounting sleeves with revised ones that are about .1" shorter. This allows more 'crush' of the insulator bushing.

New sleeves are part# E5DZ-3K620-A ($12/pair from Tousley) or you can grind originals if they're in good shape.

Aluminum is a great bushing upgrade that'll reduce deflection and increase feedback.

Maximum Motorsports part # MMST-7 is a good design that uses a spherical washer to really hold the rack tight against the K-member, so it doesn't twist and put so much strain on the mounts

:read: www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/steering/MMST-7.pdf

:burnout:

Last edited:

Pollardhimself

Established Member
TSB 05-14-3 calls for replacement of rack mounting sleeves with revised ones that are about .1" shorter. This allows more 'crush' of the insulator bushing.

New sleeves are part# E5DZ-3K620-A ($12/pair from Tousley) or you can grind originals if they're in good shape.

Aluminum is a great bushing upgrade that'll reduce deflection and increase feedback.

Maximum Motorsports part # MMST-7 is a good design that uses a spherical washer to really hold the rack tight against the K-member, so it doesn't twist and put so much strain on the mounts

:read: www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/steering/MMST-7.pdf

:burnout:

Ordering! It has been annoying me to death....

Users who are viewing this thread