Front End noises

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
Hi everyone, i just purchased a 2004 Cobra completely stock with 87XX miles on it. Ive tried searching but im coming up with some kind of error. so i apologize if this is a repost.

anyway, im hearing noises up in the front end of the car when i steer or just move the wheel back and forth while at a stop. its sounds like something is loose, just lots of creaking and cracking. i really dont know how to describe it. just curious if anybody has an idea of what it might be so when and if i take it to a dealer they dont try to BS me.

also i was wondering if the warranty would move with the car or if i would have to sign something from the seller when i bought the car to get the warranty moved?

thanks a bunch!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
BeattySTi said:
Hi everyone, i just purchased a 2004 Cobra completely stock with 87XX miles on it. Ive tried searching but im coming up with some kind of error. so i apologize if this is a repost.

anyway, im hearing noises up in the front end of the car when i steer or just move the wheel back and forth while at a stop. its sounds like something is loose, just lots of creaking and cracking. i really dont know how to describe it. just curious if anybody has an idea of what it might be so when and if i take it to a dealer they dont try to BS me.

also i was wondering if the warranty would move with the car or if i would have to sign something from the seller when i bought the car to get the warranty moved?

thanks a bunch!
Steering rack is loose or the bushings are FUBAR
Jeff

BeattySTi

Import Traitor
Established Member
is this a result of hard cornering or is it something that could have just been faulty from factory? is it easy to fix, can i tighten something down myself or would it be better for me to take it to a dealer?

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Retorque the steering rack bolts. Very easy to do. Check online for the torque specs. See if that works. If it doesn't, Maximum Motorsports has some Prothane polyurethane or aluminum bushings that you could try.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
It could be a bad tie rod end.
It could be a ball joint.

Get a flash light and take a good look at the rubber boots on the ball joints and tie rod ends. Look for any punctures or tears. Look all the way around. A torn boot will lead to the joint rusting/creaking.

Put the car on a lift and move the front wheels in all directions to check for play/loose.
Check strut mounts.

The chances it is a loose rack are very slim. The rack is mounted in such a way that even if the bolts were very loose it still would not move side to side.

Users who are viewing this thread