Front end noises

97riocobra2

Established Member
Well I've been having some front end noises, like a clunk/clicking noise when I turn my steering wheel. I had my inner tie rods replaced and it certainly helped tighten up the steering but it still clicks when I turn the wheel. Just wondering if yall have had this problem. is it the steering rack, steering shaft? I did a search btw. thanks

paintballpyro1

Established Member
check your stabilizing bar links. my gf, gf dad had a clickin noise when they turned and it was because the links were broke and they were catchin on the bar. ill try to think of what else it could be if thats not the problem

97riocobra2

Established Member
the car was in the shop this morning so if it was something blatantly visible then I think they would say something.(I told them to check the whole front end) I can feel it in the steering wheel if that helps anything

paintballpyro1

Established Member
hmmm i cant really think of it. i would need to hear the noise. but most shops you pay them like $40 or so for them to find out why its making that noise, some places do it for free(thats how i find out it my outter tie rod, ball joints and wheel bearings were bad and i did it myself for $300) but call up some shops and ask if they could take a look and figure out whats making the noise and if you can do it yourself and get the parts alot cheaper do it yourself.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
ball joints i dont think would make a clicking noise but then again i thought i could drive some more and ended up popping out my ball joint. but if you had your tie rods done you should prolly just get the ball joints done and get the good ones that you can grease. (complete kit from pst for $200 with all bushing and everything to do the whole front end)

97riocobra2

Established Member
yeah its not the balljoints. It doesn't pop like balljoints do when they go bad. i hope its not the steering rack. what about ragjoints, what are they? would bad bushings in the steering rack cause clicking? I have to find a decent shop

Untamed

Established Member
I had that little pop sound every time i would turn the steering wheel left-right it was my outter tie rods. good way to find out is to grab the outter tie rod joint with your hand have someone turn the wheel if it pops. Bingo! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread