front end noise

AZGT500

Established Member
Anyone get a crunching or popping noise from front end when going slowly over a bump? Someone told me it was bad lower control arms on all newer mustangs

AZGT500

Established Member
Dic you have the problem on your 2011 gt/cs. A friend had the problem on his 2011 V6 mustang and has the same problem on his new 2014 mustang. Says there is a bulliten from Ford on the problem now. He's been to two dealerships here in Phoenix, AZ and they haven't been much help.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I know there was a TSB for the 07 to 09 GT500s for upgraded front lower control arms, but I don't know if that pertains to the 10 to 14

AZGT500

Established Member
I know there was a TSB for the 07 to 09 GT500s for upgraded front lower control arms, but I don't know if that pertains to the 10 to 14

The Latest tsb bulletin is for 2011-2014s What a crock! Who likes to have to take this car to the dealership for anything? You know they're in there revving the crap out of it and disrespecting it. Bye bye I'm tradin the lemon in! Never buyin Ford AGAIN

eagle eye

Established Member
Anyone get a crunching or popping noise from front end when going slowly over a bump? Someone told me it was bad lower control arms on all newer mustangs
GRUNT/CREAK/CHIRP/SQUEAK NOISE FROM THE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM OVER BUMPS
TSB 13-7-8
FORD:
2011-2014 Mustang
The article supersedes TSB 12-8-24 to update the model years, Service Procedure and Part List.
ISSUE
Some 2011-2014 Mustangs vehicles may exhibit a grunt/creak/chirp/squeak noise from the front lower control arm hydro bushing. These noises may occur over large vertical bumps like speed bumps, pot holes, rough roads and driveway approaches.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Attach Rotunda wireless chassis ears (JSP97202) or equivalent on both lower control arm hydro bushing bracket tabs to verify noise is coming from the hydro bushing.
a. The hydro bushing is the large diameter bushing at the rear of the control arm. Due to hydraulic fluid flow some noise from the bushing is normal. There would typically be some difference from side to side on a unit with a noisy control arm.
2. If the noise is not confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, this article does not apply, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 204-00 for normal diagnostics.
3. If the noise is confirmed as coming from the hydro bushing, replace the affected lower control arm with the new lower control arm with shield and 3 screws. Tighten the three (3) shield screws to 7 N•m (62 lb-in.) Refer to WSM, Section 204-01. (Figure 1)
Figure 1 - Article 13-7-8

PART NUMBER
PART NAME
CR3Z-3078-D CR3Z-3079-D W710141-S439 W709865-S439 W710909-S439 W711123-S439 W520215-S440 W520214-S440 W713882-S437 4R3Z-5G221-LH 4R3Z-5G221-RH W704873-S439
Arm Asy - Right Front
Arm Asy - Left Front
Lower Arm Rear Bolt (2 Req) Lower Arm Front Bolt (2 Req) Steering Gear Bolt
Ball Joint Bolt (2 Req)
Lower Arm Rear Nut (2 Req) Ball Joint Nut (2 Req)
Rack Nut
Shield - Left
Shield - Right
Screw - Shield (6 Req)
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.
Copyright  2013 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 15, 2013 PAGE 1
TSB 13-7-8 (Continued)
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
130708B 2011-2014 Mustang: Replace Two (2) Front
Lower Control Arms, Includes Time To Diagnose
DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. 3078
2.1 Hrs.
CONDITION CODE 42
OPERATION DESCRIPTION
130708A 2011-2014 Mustang: Replace One (1) Front
Lower Control Arm, Includes Time To Diagnose
TIME
1.8 Hrs.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The Latest tsb bulletin is for 2011-2014s What a crock! Who likes to have to take this car to the dealership for anything? You know they're in there revving the crap out of it and disrespecting it. Bye bye I'm tradin the lemon in! Never buyin Ford AGAIN

Lmfao that's a little extreme over a small suspension problem

Snoopy49

Established Member
Anyone have pics to see what this "shield" and three screws are about?

Tom

Tom,
The shield seems to be a part of the TSB, it doesn't look like it originally came on the car from the factory.

View attachment TSB 13-07-08 2011-2014 lower control arm.pdf

Original factory configuration.

Front Suspension.jpg

Last edited:

AZGT500

Established Member
Lmfao that's a little extreme over a small suspension problem

You're absolutely right 2011 gtcs it does sound extreme. I do love the car and hate to feel that way but dread the thought of taking this car to the dealership for anything. We've all heard the horror stories. A fellow mustang owner has had bad experiences at two dealerships in the Bell rd area of Phoenix over this issue. Do you have a suggestion where to go in the Phoenix area of a dealership you've had a good experience with? Thanx for the info eagle eye

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
You're absolutely right 2011 gtcs it does sound extreme. I do love the car and hate to feel that way but dread the thought of taking this car to the dealership for anything. We've all heard the horror stories. A fellow mustang owner has had bad experiences at two dealerships in the Bell rd area of Phoenix over this issue. Do you have a suggestion where to go in the Phoenix area of a dealership you've had a good experience with? Thanx for the info eagle eye

Trade it in for a tesla model s.

AZGT500

Established Member
After reading the bulletin my car doesn't make the noise every time I go over a bump so I'm assuming what I have is normal. Guess I'll keep it for now. lol

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

Go find a small dealer that is more personable. A control arm is a normal part, not anything special. I could care less about taking it to a dealer that is into high-end cars. I would want a dealer that cares about customer service.

Tom

Patrick408

Established Member
Try Berge Ford in Mesa, i know its a drive but they have good customer service and have people trained on our cars....My car was voided warranty about 3 months after delivery...haha

BahnRunner

Established Member
I was getting something similar but I don't think it's the same issue. I think I posted a thread about it a few months ago. I was getting a popping sound that sounded like it was coming through the tires and I could feel it through the steering wheel. It only happend when I was backing out of my driveway and turning really slow. I think the stock good years were binding on the concrete. When I made the switch to mpss it stopped 95% of it. I don't think you have the same issue though. I probably wouldn't bother taking it in for this unless it is that bothersome.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Dic you have the problem on your 2011 gt/cs. A friend had the problem on his 2011 V6 mustang and has the same problem on his new 2014 mustang. Says there is a bulliten from Ford on the problem now. He's been to two dealerships here in Phoenix, AZ and they haven't been much help.
Hi AZGT500,

Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer and let me get it escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Also, your friend is welcome to PM me on this forum. Have him make another appointment with the Ford Dealer of his choice and send me his info.

Deysha

Turbosnake95

Established Member
Hi AZGT500,

Please make an appointment with your Ford Dealer and let me get it escalated to the customer service manager for your area. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Also, your friend is welcome to PM me on this forum. Have him make another appointment with the Ford Dealer of his choice and send me his info.

Deysha

That is FORD service!

Has FORD promoted you yet Deysha? If not FORD needs to step their game up! All the time and work you have assisted with on the many mustang forums over the years is deserving of a promotion.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
That is FORD service!

Has FORD promoted you yet Deysha? If not FORD needs to step their game up! All the time and work you have assisted with on the many mustang forums over the years is deserving of a promotion.
Lol! I am still enjoying my job, Turbosnake95. I don't think I can do anything else other than hang out here with you all. Thank you for the kind words! :dancenana:

Deysha

AZGT500

Established Member
Hi Deysha, thankyou for your reply. I sent you a PM but don't know if I did it right . I spoke to Scott MacMillan at Tom Jones Ford in Buckeye, AZ where I bought the car and he was very helpful. I'll drive an extra 20 miles for piece of mind I guess since I don't trust Rodeo Ford in Goodyear Employees there seem to feel entitled to rev on your car and who knows what else.

Users who are viewing this thread