Front end cluncking sources

Ok so I have been experiencing a very loud, front end clunk. Almost sounds like it comes underneath the transmission area, towards the passenger side.

Started happening at about 122k. Happens when I drop the hammer in 2nd and 3rd. Also happens if I downshift from high rpms from 3rd to 2nd.

I initially thought it was my worn passenger side inner tie rod and ball joint.

So far I've replaced both ball joints, both inner & outer tie rods and my driver side strut which was badly worn.

The loud clunking sound is still there. What else could be the source? I have a lot of the FTBR IRS stuff, which eliminating the clunk that's notorious with our cars. But that clunk, never appeared to come from underneath the transmission area as I'm experiencing now.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this loud clunk? Its only happening on hard acceleration and deceleration. I'm stumped at this point. I can't find anything in the front suspension at this point, that appears to have any play.

Thanks in advance for all insights and suggestions

Hey Rob, check your U joints and trans mount. GL!

Thanks for the suggestions Tony.

I'm going to get the car on jackstands tomorrow.

Could you please give me instructions on how I determine if either is worn? Am I pushing up on the trans to see if there is play where the crossmember bolts up?

For the u joints do I have to remove the driveshaft? Thanks a bunch for all your help.

EDIT: You ever hear of a u joint making a squeak/chirping noise while the car is at idle?

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
I sure hope not Hot03. That's a little bit more than I can handle.

How can I trouble shoot if its a motor mount? Thanks for your help always as well.

Btw, you over 400k yet?

Engine mounts are easy to change. .

with an auto you would put in gear hold brake and give a little throttle..engine would lift or move..

mounts are also very cheap..I use oem.

ours with stick..its like you said..you nail it and hear a clunk

Im 2 tanks aways from 375k pic

Blueline

Established Member
Rob, you can try moving the joint by hand, grab the driveshaft and try to move it around without spinning it, see if it moves. Grab yourself a pry bar and wedge it under the trans and try to lift, see if it's moving. You can also do that for the motor mounts, see if there's any movement in them.

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
I had the same clunk you are describing in my old car, it turned out the bolt that holds the control arm to the k member was loose. I retorqued it and it went away. I'd go under your car with a torque wrench and retorque everything, especially since you have over 100k miles. Mine came loose at like 70k

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the suggestions fellas. Tony you hit the nail on the head buddy. Looks like the trans mount is badly worn. Its actually a relief, as I was hoping it wasn't a worn motor mount. Definitely using the opportunity to pick up the new Stifflers crossmember that eliminates the trans mount.

Blueline

Established Member
Thanks again for all the suggestions fellas. Tony you hit the nail on the head buddy. Looks like the trans mount is badly worn. Its actually a relief, as I was hoping it wasn't a worn motor mount. Definitely using the opportunity to pick up the new Stifflers crossmember that eliminates the trans mount.

Nice Rob! Easy fix, happy holidays

hotcobra03

Established Member

There is still a good chance engine mounts are worn also..

Honestly mounts are easy to change..not much harder than trans..can be done on side of road..

I did my first starter in parkinglot ..put car half on curb and crawled right under

engine mounts cost about 20 bucks each at ford and really dont last..

engine being very heavy and torq twisting power that has now worked back to trans mount

Nice Rob! Easy fix, happy holidays

You too Tony. Thanks again bud.

There is still a good chance engine mounts are worn also..

Honestly mounts are easy to change..not much harder than trans..can be done on side of road..

I did my first starter in parkinglot ..put car half on curb and crawled right under

engine mounts cost about 20 bucks each at ford and really dont last..

engine being very heavy and torq twisting power that has now worked back to trans mount

I wouldn't discount what your saying. They look like they've seen better days, that's for sure. probably will do them in the summer as 13 years and lots of mileage of course takes a toll on the motor mounts. Thanks for all your insight. Do you also put your car on half a curb to change the oil?

djhtech

Established Member
you too tony. Thanks again bud.

I wouldn't discount what your saying. They look like they've seen better days, that's for sure. Probably will do them in the summer as 13 years and lots of mileage of course takes a toll on the motor mounts. Thanks for all your insight. do you also put your car on half a curb to change the oil?

:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread