Front Dress

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Does anyone have any good sources for how the front dress of the motor goes for a 96-98 Cobra. I feel like a retard because I have stuff and I can't figure out how it goes on. I'll get pictures later of the things I'm particularly confused about. The alternator is really perplexing me. I can't figure out how it's supposed to mount on the intake. Help me?

CJK440

Established Member
It doesn't mount to the intake. It bolts to the 2 bolt holes at the front valley wall. There is a brace that runs to the intake area but the main bolts are into the block itself.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Spend $15 and get a Haynes manual. They're well worth the money and hold the answers to each of your questions.

As far as the alternator is concerned, there are two bolts that go into the block directly above each side of the water pump. The "feet" of the alternator, so to speak, sits on those bolts and the tension it against the block. There are also several other bolts and a mounting plate that secure it from the top as well.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
So this is where I'm stuck. The top left of this picture shows where I'm getting confused. What's with all the extra space? How is it supposed to look?

IMG_1251.jpg

This picture shows the stud that I have in the bottom, but there is room in the back and not enough threads on the stud.

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

These are the studs that I have and none of them seem to work right...

IMG_1258.jpg

Also, what goes here?

IMG_1255.jpg

And where do all these things go?

IMG_1254.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
There are supposed to be bolts that go in the mounting points for the alternator, not studs.

The 4 bolts you have pictured all look to me like they go to the timing cover, *I think*.

In the last picture, the black bracket in the upper left-ish area is either for the passenger side coil-pack mounting, or the secondary-air-injection tube. I can't recall which. The rest I'm not sure, need better pictures really.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
So this is where I'm stuck. The top left of this picture shows where I'm getting confused. What's with all the extra space? How is it supposed to look?

IMG_1251.jpg

There is an odd looking tall nut that holds the crossover tube bracket down, the alternator bracket sits on top of that nut with another nut holding it down.

sbird1

Fumbles
Established Member
Ah ha! I lost that nut yesterday. I know the one you're talking about. I think it rolled under a pile of wood. If I have money, I'm just going to get the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread