Front calipers 'creak'

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Had the pads changed up front, and shortly after that when pushed to a certain point they creak. There is no braking loss at all, the sound is originating around the banjo bolt, have tightened/loosened the bolt, changed the washers but nothing. I strongly believe it's not the pads, since I can feel the vibration from the bolt and not the pads, I also have brake grease on there.

I think the pistons are worn, anyone have this problem before?

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Repair Manual calls for "anti-squeal" (sp) grease (not brake grease) to be applied to the caliper "pin" and the back side of the pads. I don't know how you isolated it down to the banjo bolt ...

Last edited:

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
Repair Manual calls for "anti-squeal" (sp) grease (not brake grease) to be applied to the caliper "pin" and the back side of the pads. I don't know how you isolated it down to the banjo bolt ...

51TFGKYuX0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is the stuff

I have popped the pin out and it still makes the noise, the pads do not vibrate but the bolt vibrates when the creak is made.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member

On the back of the pad where the metal bracket sits in the caliper?

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
My driver's side does this but I'm sure it's cause I'm too lazy to take it apart and address whatever issues it is. It's funny though cause if I'm stopped at a light, I'll bounce my foot on the brake pedal real fast and people always give me crazy looks.

Toasty

Established Member
51TFGKYuX0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is the stuff

I have popped the pin out and it still makes the noise, the pads do not vibrate but the bolt vibrates when the creak is made.

Caliper/Brake Grease and anti-squeal are different products. Anti-squeal is a product that when dries resembles rubber.

Caliper grease for your slides and moving parts. Anti-squeal for the areas that Dano indicated. At least this is the way things used to be done 'back in the day' - I havent (yet) had squeal issues from my brakes on my Cobra.

Last edited:

randyp97svt

Established Member
Mine did the same thing, have you might have to bleed the brakes. For me what the creaking was, was cavitation in the line. Just think of a hydraulic cylinder if you have any small pockets of air or water in the system it can make a creaking noise. As time goes by the fuild breaks down and water is introduced in the system which can compress and that most likely, in my case anyway was causing the noise.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
mine did the same thing, creak if car was off in the garage, and you pushed the pedal. lube it up and you'll be fine.:beer:

projectslideway

Established Member
yea, i just use motorcraft dielectric grease. If you pull them out and they are nasty rusted clean with with scotch brite and a wire wheel. Then grease em'

TL95SVT

Clean & Simple!
Established Member
I didn't mention that this isn't a brake squeel when stopping, it creaks when the pedal is pressed whenever.

Did you ever figure this out?? Mine is doing the same thing. Whenever you press the pedal in, it makes an awful creaking noise. You can even hear it outside the car, kinda sounds like it is coming from the master cylinder?

This happens when the car is just sitting there, not moving at all and you press the brake pedal.

Air in the lines?? or do i need to lube something lol?

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
most of the creaking ive ever heard on any ford was coming from the booster area. i know 96 up doesnt have a booster, but i would beleive there is a bushing in the brake pedal that could be causing the noise. as far as the noise at the caliper, i would bleed the brakes like mentioned, and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread